Join our server on Discord

I hate work-a-holics
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/20/1552236

I truly do. People like this (and the less extreme work-a-holics) snap up all the good jobs, because bosses just want someone to work hard. Talent? Knowledge? Screw them! You, sonny, need a university degree and the capacity to work 70 hours in one week!

School's your job, right!? You're there to study and earn, not have fun. This is even truer when we include relationships with the opposite sex in "have fun". How dare those damn kids want to spend any of their time happy! How dare I not favor work-a-holics in my hiring policies, thereby giving them a solid opportunity to spend time happy! They'll just spend it drunk, right?

Who's with me! CRUCIFY THE WORK-A-HOLICS!
I just read that article myself about twenty minutes ago. ;)

Really, though...what he did wasn't all that amazing. Since he went to a public college rather than a private university, they accepted all of his AP credits. When I went to RIT...they accepted none of mine. NONE. ZERO. I had 23...

Ultimately, this gets him nowhere in life. AP courses, while they good on a transcript for college, are poor substitutes for the real thing. Trust me, I know. I had to go through them. And then not get them acknowledged, and do the REAL thing. Granted, the knowledge I gained from AP Calculus was useful when I had to take single-var calc again, but it was hardly a substitute. And I think that employers will know that.
They snap up all the good jobs because they work their asses off and the boss loves it. These are usually the people who get promotions within a week, since they're just mind-blowingly productive.
Ghost_Op Wrote:They snap up all the good jobs because they work their asses off and the boss loves it. These are usually the people who get promotions within a week, since they're just mind-blowingly productive.
Except that they're not. Nowadays you need Talent, Knowledge, and Work Ethic to really accomplish anything, and having massive quantities of one will not make up for lack of the others.

However, bosses haven't gotten the memo yet.
Anonmon Wrote:
Ghost_Op Wrote:They snap up all the good jobs because they work their asses off and the boss loves it. These are usually the people who get promotions within a week, since they're just mind-blowingly productive.
Except that they're not. Nowadays you need Talent, Knowledge, and Work Ethic to really accomplish anything, and having massive quantities of one will not make up for lack of the others.

However, bosses haven't gotten the memo yet.

They have the Work Ethic, and they have to have at LEAST the knowledge after working for so long. Are there useless over-workers that can get nothing done at the speed of light? Yes, but the majority have an average amount of talent and knowledge and simply output more because of their increased work ethic.
I'm not quite sure where I fall on this issue. I don't like to work, but when I'm not working, I feel obligated to do something with my personal life, and that's even harder than what I'm paid to do.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
That seems slightly depressing, you shouldn't feel obligated to graze people with your prescense. Sometimes, you just need to grab a bag of chips, 4 liters of Soda and watch a good movie.
Ghost_OP its rather unfortunate that in my situation even though there are so many people here, many of them are fake, and so it limits the number of good friends I have in the area. -_- I wouldnt mind a hug or a good cuddle like anyone else but people around here, not all but most, are rather stupid and moronic. Its hard to find furries here as well, considering me and my friend are the only ones...that I know of...

As for work-a-holics, its pretty bad to be in that lifestyle its rather unfortunate that many people chose that way of life, but its more important to live life and be with others and not work so hard for a job that might never take you anywhere but back to the same monotony like "Ground Hog Day".... Repition gets boring... You need a balance of both fun and play, but I rather choose to have fun more time then others....
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
I don't see a problem with working to hard to advance to a higher position, that is your choice. I don't see why you hate them unless people are telling you to be more like the work-a-holics. Personally I think you should do what you have to first then relax. I don't find anything special about what that kid did, because I personally will want to enjoy some of the collage life not waste it working.
Quote:people around here, not all but most, are rather stupid and moronic.
You don't consider me to be part of that group do you LG?

Anyway, You shouldn't hate someone for being a workaholic. It is however a bad thing.

You work your ass off, till you are too old to enjoy your life. You earn all of this money and this huge reputation, but you forgot to take the time to enjoy your life while doing it. Now you are too old to spend your money, and your reputation dwindles because you have retired. The only people who care about you now are your family, but sadly, you neglected them with your constant work. That is not a way to live.
Renamon's Army