Join our server on Discord

Poll: Do you think MMORPGs are evil?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, they're addictive and should be banned!
6.67%
1 6.67%
No, people need to chilll out!
86.67%
13 86.67%
I haven't decided how I feel about it yet.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

MMORPGs...evil?
What do you all think of the recent media attention MMORPGs have been getting about their apparently addictive qualities?

Personally, I think that the media is making far too big a deal out of something when there are far worse problems to be looking at. How about nuclear proliferation, pollution, resource mismanagement, substance abuse, and gambling addictions? I think stuff like that is of a little more global importance than some people playing video games for longer than the recommended 1 hour per day.
I haven't seen many reports at all about MMRPGs in particular, so I don't think it is being blown out of proportion.

True, there are far worse problems, but does any one really care? Not the mass majority of people. They just want to watch the next scandalous thing.
/. ran a story a while back. Some center in the Netherlands popped up for 'video game addiction'. I think that's crap.

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/20..._hab_1.php

The psychologists there plan on getting them accustomed to high-adrenaline sports rather than video games. So, in essence, they're replacing one addiction with another one.

FTA:

In order to replace the fantasy excitement with real excitement, we provide various activities for the gaming clients, some of which are high adrenaline and provide the thrill of real life situations. Our coaches work with the clients to find new activities with which the client can fill the lost "time warp" hours.

When I read this, I thought to myself, "Okay, they don't like what these people are doing in their spare time, so they're trying to get them to do something else that they prefer."

I mean, let's face it; when people have free time, they choose what to do with it. Some people do drugs, some people gamble, some people "engage in romance", others play games, read books.

Let's replace games with books for a moment. Some people love to read books; they do it for several hours every day. Most people would in modern society would be highly offended if you tried to suggest that this voracious reader has a compulsive, addictive habit. If they stopped, they'd probably be dying to get back to their reading. That's "withdrawal" I guess. The time they read could be better spent...uh..I don't know.. playing sports or something. Oh yeah, that's SO much healthier. I've seen what sports have done to some people, and we're talking way beyond Counterstrike.

And for damaging relationships... a lot of the games mentioned are highly social--moreso than books. Say someone reads a lot? God forbid they spend most of their free time enjoying themselves in a way that doesn't involve other people. Some people like that--get over it.
I dont really see it as bad, they interact with people and do things that can positively influence alot of people skills and teamwork amogst others. People stereotype video games into one category and never allow to see it in other light. Its rather unfortunate but they should deal with it.....I say its a No for me that its not that bad...
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
blueeyedgabulvo0o Wrote:I dont really see it as bad, they interact with people and do things that can positively influence alot of people skills and teamwork amogst others. People stereotype video games into one category and never allow to see it in other light. Its rather unfortunate but they should deal with it.....I say its a No for me that its not that bad...

I am no expert of MMRPGs... heck, I have yet to play one, but my brothers and few other people I know do. My experience is limited. While what you say is true and possible, but how many people do? I would say the majority play rather well, but it is the annoying people that people remeber best. And when I said "people" the second time, I'm talking about people who expect everyone to be what they call mature, the one and only method... theirs, and will hold a grudge on the other "people." Sotimes, they are no more mature then those they hate despite seeming to be mature around 9 times out of 10.
I'm interested in the MMORPG Guild Wars. There is nothing wrong with them in my opinion; games are meant to be fun. If you can get a bazillion of that out of a game, U R WINNAR.
I voted no, but It pisses me off when I see a 12 year old kid who weighs more than me.

There is this kid who was signing up for football, as was my little brother. They made all the kids run the 40, and do other such things. When this one kid tried to run the 40, he took like 5 steps, and fell down panting.

I'm the kind of person who loved slapstick humor, but after watching that poor kid, made me feel so sorry for him. He will be known as the fat kid. "Hey FAT kid, you fatty fat fat kid." I guarantee all that kid does is sit on his ass and watch t.v. and play videogames.

As a whole, spending your time playing videogames is fine, but there are some people who need help, or motivation to do other things. Like the poor fat kid on my brother's football team. At least he is doing something that requires some physical action now.
Renamon's Army
I do say I have mixed emotions about playing too long on an MMORPG. Yeah I know I spend too long playing World of Warcraft but most dungeons in the game usually take 2-3 hours to complete. Thats ONLY if you dont have any wipes or disconecctions. That doesnt count Raid dungeons either. Raid dungeons usually take about an hour to get enough of the right people to go and aboud 3-5 hours to complete.
The OCA
These things are addictive as DRUGS!! My bro is into WoW and he just can't stop, ever since then, he became an angry gamer, 'cause he won't come out of the house! He just wanna play WoW ALL F&^$ING DAY!! I think it should be BANNED LIKE CIGARETTES!! :x Did I spell that right? :?:
Renamon's Army
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
You know i was going to say something but im to out of it (sick and tired) to form it into a sentence :P

I just say its ok as long as you dont play more then 2 hours straight... atleast take a 30 min break atleast o_o i mean some guy keeled over playing a game 4 days straight at an internet cafe... so dont do something like that now :P