Join our server on Discord

Lolicon is Official Illegal in the United States
UnknownH Wrote:Good point, Do we ever know what years digimon take place?
This is all fiction so it may just not matter at all.

As I recall, Digimon Adventure is set in August of 1999, and Zero Two is three years later, in 2002 (hence the "Zero Two").

My calculations (from a few vague references in calendars seen in the background) roughly indicate Digimon Tamers being approximately 2003, though in a non-concurrent timeline to the Adventure series, or possibly 2004. I forget which one exactly, because it's been quite some time since I did that math.

I would guess Digimon Frontier is some year between 2000 and 2010, because Digimon tends to be set in the near future.

Note: Taichi, Yamato, Sora and Jyou are the only ones who, by the end of this year, would be 18.

My comment concerning the kids in Evangelion is based on timeline -- Shinji would be, I believe, 5 or 6 this year.
It was always my understanding that Mimi and Jyou are are the same age, Yamato, Taichi and Sora are a year younger, and Koushiro is another year younger.
Well then, is it all settled?
Digimon Adventure:

Digimon Adventure (Season One) took place in 1999. At this time, Jou (Joe) was the oldest, age 12. Taichi (Tai), Sora, and Yamato (Matt) were 11. Mimi and Koushirou (Izzy) were 10. Takeru (TK) and Hikari (Kari) were 8.

At this point in time, Ken and Daisuke (Davis) would have also been 8, Miyako (Yolei) would have been 9, and Iori (Cody) would have been 6.

This is consistent in both the original and dubbed versions of digimon.

Digimon Adventure 02:

This is where it starts to get confusing, due to the dub version taking place in a different year than the Japanese version. The Japanese version took place in '02, naturally. Jou (Joe) was 15, Taichi (Tai), Yamato (Matt), and Sora were 14, and Koushirou (Izzy) and Mimi were 13. Daisuke (Davis), Ken, Takeru (TK), and Hikari (Kari) were 11, Miyako (Yolei) was 12, and Iori (Cody) was 9.

The dubbed version of digimon took place one year later, in 2003, so if you're writing/drawing the dub version of digimon, add one to the 02 ages in the paragraph above.

Digimon Tamers:

Tamers was also confusing due to a two year age difference between the original and dubbed versions. The officially stated year that Tamers took place was 200X, but based on the calendars shown in the series, we can deduce that the show took place in either 2001 or 2007. Given that the show actually aired in Japan in April 2001, and the first calendars indicated April 2001 or 2007, I think it is fair to conclude that the show took place in 2001---"real time," just like Adventure did in 1999.

At this time, in the Japanese version, Takato, Jenrya (Henry), Ruki (Rika), Hirokazu (Kazu), and Kenta were all 10. Shiuchon (Suzie) was 7, Ryou (Ryo) was 14, and Ai and Makoto (Mako) were 4.

In the dubbed version, Takato was 12 instead of 10. Not 13, as many fan-sites tell you. That is wrong, he was 12. So bump up everyone's age by 2 for the dub ages.

Digimon Frontier:

As far as I know, Frontier never committed to a year. You can guess "real time" like Adventure and Tamers, making it 2002, but that's just a best guess and isn't official. Whatever the year was, Takuya, Kouji (Koji), Kouichi (Koichi), and Izumi (Zoe) were 11. Junpei (JP) was 12, and Tomoki (Tommy) was 9.

Digimon Savers:

I don't know Savers well enough to know if there was a year given, but Masaru and Touma are 14 and Yoshino is 18. The reason they made her 18 is because that's the legal driving age in Japan, and they needed a driver for the DATS vehicle.

=====

I hope that's useful to you guys.
I still doubt that all lolicon is officially illegal in the US. It seems to me like a law that was only passed to eliminate the loopholes that known pedophiles were exploiting to escape prosecution.

As far as I know, the world of Japanese manga and doujinshis is still something that politicans either don't know about, or aren't talking about. Who would really want to be the first person to step before Congress and bring something like that up? I can't imagine any politician over the age of 50 even knowing where to begin with this stuff.
Hey Grapp, Shaochung (Suzie) is 5 in the dub (her personality didn't register for 9, or even 7, I suppose), and I'm pretty sure that Ryo was still 14.
Well their canon age isn't really relevant. The justification is that the characters' ages in the pictures are legal, but their depictions are in a certain style where they may appear to be younger.