Join our server on Discord

The Impression That I Get
This thread is here for an intelligent discussion, and possibly debate, of the newest iteration of video game systems. This consists of five systems to me -- Two Portable, and three Consoles.

I want to start off by saying that I think all five systems are perfectly valid for gaming, though some are overpriced for what they offer, while others offer more for the money -- and who doesn't like that? So I'll start with my impressions of the systems, and what I view as their benefits and drawbacks.

SONY PLAYSTATION PORTABLE SYSTEM

Now at a less than ideal $199 price tag, the PSP System is starting to seem like a reasonable price, but the problem I have with it is that it's too much for a portable. Sure, the games are starting to get reasonable prices with the PSP Greatest Hits, but it's only a start. The problem is that the PSP is flooded with videos, which is not where a gaming system should be, and all of the worthwhile games seem to be ports of PS2 software. Sony has announced that it will be usable as a controller or additional viewscreen with the PS3, but that still requires an additional $200 investment by those who do wish to use this feature.

Benefits - Full 3D games, graphics between PS1 and PS2, has additional functionality built in
Drawbacks - No particularly great games, attempts to bring console gaming to the portable market, has additional functionality built in

SONY PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

With a super-powerful processor for computations, and another strong one for graphics, it seems as if the PlayStation 3 will be able to do anything. Especially with the additional storage capacity of Blu-Ray, a Hard Disk Drive, and required support for the current pinnacle of HDTV: 1080p. Except that the support for 1080p is lacking on the cheap model, which in itself is a compromise Sony didn't want to make (a cheap model, I mean). The cheap model, at $499, will also cut the wireless functions and Hard Disk Drive, while still being a massive investment, which may or may not be upgradeable to match the PS3 full model, which will retail for $599. But hey, Sony is trying to make this a 10 year console, which is, to be fair, possibly the only way they will make money off of this venture. The graphics are wonderful if you DO have an HDTV, but for the vast majority without them, the graphical difference will not matter for 3-5 years.

Benefits: A long-term investment, great graphics, Final Fantasy XIII
Drawbacks: Expensive, possibly to the point of being overpriced; expensive to develop for; may kill the artistic nature of game making

MICROSOFT XBOX 360

The Xbox 360 seems to be an ideal machine for traditionalist gaming, with a powerful processor, powerful graphics, and enough freedom to still be worth stylizing games for the system. WIth a traditional controller and no intention to compromise it's appeal to traditional gamers, the Xbox 360 retails at what will be $200 below the comparable PS3 model ($299 for the cheap, and $399 for the full model). This more reasonable price will appeal to gamers who want great games and don't care to pay $500+ for a gaming system alone, while the support for 1080i (mandatory support is required for 720p) makes the system a worthwhile investment for improved graphics.

Benefits: More economical than PS3, already out the gate, has 3rd party support already going with games already available
Drawbacks: Made by Microsoft, seems prone to mechanical issues

NINTENDO WII

The Wii (sounds like "we", not "whee!") is a different type of console for an ever shrinking market. While Microsoft and Sony preach to the choir with improved graphics alone, Nintendo is attempting to evangelize to the non-gamers, whether they never were or once were, and begin growing the market again. The wii offers a new, simpler controller, reverse compatibility with over 20 years worth of video games from the original NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafX, and Nintendo64 through their Virtual Console service, while the disc drive will be able to read both GameCube mini-DVDs as well as full sized DVD discs for the new Wii software. Wii is expected to retail for under $250, and will be out in time for the Christmas season. Building on established Intellectual Properties, including launch or near-launch Zelda and Metroid titles, the Nintendo Wii seems like it could bring about a potential resurgence in gaming to a public that hears more and seems to care less about the industry every year.

Benefits: The Wii is a new system with a new controller, and attempts to appeal to casual, non, and serious gamers; the iPod-esque feel and look of the Wii and its controller may bring a simplistic appeal to gaming; low development costs, and a familiar development environment, may allow more artistic games to be developed with a lower budget; 20+ year video game back catalog through the Virtual Console and GameCube discs
Drawbacks: Nintendo's image has been tarnished to some young people, by supporting a family friendly image; some may consider the price to indicate a significantly weak system unsuitable for games

NINTENDO DS

The Nintendo DS is the first of Nintendo's new systems, with two speakers, two screens, a touchscreen, a microphone, and innate wireless support. Nintendo is expanding gaming by introducing its new series of "non-games", from Animal Crossing and Brain Age to Nintendogs, with more light games being made available as they are finished. At the same time, the system hasn't abandoned the traditional gamer, with great titles like The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass and Castlevania: Protrait of Ruin in development still, and more yet to come (Final Fantasy III, I'm lookin' at you!). Nintendo has also begun their Nintendo WiFi Connection (WFC) through DS titles.

Benefits: New levels of game interaction, possible to make good 3D games (even if not great), both screens can be combined for a larger display
Drawbacks: Battery life is leeched quickly while using WiFi, some routers seem to provide spotty connections to the WFC, while others are imcompatible with the DS Wireless
Well, NateHunter, you've pretty much said my thoughts and more. I'm stepping back from gaming a bit I think, but I'm still keeping an eye on it. For one, I've never really payed for a console on it's launch... which doesn't sound as great when the only ones I've ever bought was a PS2 and GBA SP.

X-box 360. Halo did well on the X-box, and will no doubt do well with the 360. I'm not sure if it'll continue to be profitable, regardless. It was smart of them to release first and so early. I don't think too many people will buy a PS3 after buying a new console already and for it's price.

I think the Wii will do much better than the Cube did. Being family will detract the young people as you said, but I think it will still do well. If all goes according to plan, having some of the old games may bring some older fans back. I say it is pretty much on the controller. The DS does not seem to have too many games which do a good job of using the touch screen, but the games are still fun.

I was hoping to buy a PS3, but a Wii is looking much better overall. It has only want I want. I can't easily connenct my consoles up to the web, so that also puts a disdain for alot of it. (I don't have connections near the TV.) Online is nice and all, but I fear it will bring troubles too.

In the end, I'll be sticking to my PS2 and PC until I've "finished" a few other personal needs. (Since when are we ever truly finished until we're dead?)
I'm gonna do the same thing I did when I got my PS2...wait for ages until it drops to a reasonable price, and then get my PS3. I'm a bit too loyal to the brand to go to a company that totally betrayed me (Nintendo with all their kiddiness) or that doesn't cater to my interests (XBox has an overabundance of action titles and shooters.)

That being said, I go where titles I like go. If MGS4 was going elsewhere, I'd probably follow it. That's kind of the deciding factor for me. As little as I play my MGS games, they're by far my favorite ones.
senjuro Wrote:I'm gonna do the same thing I did when I got my PS2...wait for ages until it drops to a reasonable price, and then get my PS3. I'm a bit too loyal to the brand to go to a company that totally betrayed me (Nintendo with all their kiddiness). . .

Wow. That is such a sheep comment. It's now time, Senjuro, to justify yourself. I gave my more objective views in the first post, but now let's get to the debate. My stance is that Sony is trying to leverage their name brand status so that people who feel a loyalty to the Sony brand will want to spend $500 to $600. Sony will not drop the price for several years, and I believe that it will not be reasonable at ANY point in its lifespan, which as I said, Sony intends to be 10 years. That's right, I just said the PS3 will never reach a reasonable price over its entire 10-year lifespan. I love my PS2 because it has some good games that I love playing, but I will NOT be forking over more than $400 for a complete video game system. I know the PS3 will have some great games, but unless it has some that I simply cannot put off buying, there's no way I will be getting one.

You say you're loyal to the PlayStation brand, though, and I can respect that. But you made a sheep comment there that you need to justify. Nintendo betrayed nobody. Nintendo has only grown more leniant on their standards since the NES days. If anybody betrayed video games in regards to Nintendo, it wasn't Nintendo, but the third parties. Justify how Nintendo is "kiddy", and be honest. Is it the lack of M rated titles? Is it the presence of Pok
[quote=Nate Hunter]If anybody betrayed video games in regards to Nintendo, it wasn't Nintendo, but the third parties. Justify how Nintendo is "kiddy", and be honest. Is it the lack of M rated titles? Is it the presence of Pok
Nate, I never thought about Sony never dropping their price to a decent level, but since I've read your comment I believe you. Calling it a Computer is conntected to that aspect as well. When I first heard I thought that it was nearly ridiculous as Nintendo calling their DS a "third pillar" gaming console.

In some ways, I am similar to Senjuro, I did lose intrest in Nintendo around the N64 days. I still enjoyed Golden Eye and Smash Bros, but there were not many games to hold my intrest. There were not too many PS games either. Final Fantasy was there and Legend of Mana was fun too. Please note, though that, besides Tekken 3, most of the games I played on the PS were single while 64 were multiplayer. Still, I didn't play too many games at all during that era. Well, I did, but most of them were SNES ROMs I downloaded of the internet.

The Cube did not look much better. The PS2 improved alot in games once I bought, so I never did get around to the Cube. Things are different today. Final Fantasy no longer has the same feel to me. These days it feels like playing a movie, so I've actually been reading more books. Still, all in all, I'll still wait to see if I even buy a game console. I still have some games I haven't beat yet.
I'm sorry if my previous post seemed poorly thought out and worded. I wrote it like 10 minutes before I was supposed to be at work and had to type fast without really thinking. I hope I explained myself, though.
Can I say somethings honestly?
F the kiddy image some people say nintendo has. I don't give a SH.
F the idea that graphics are the most important thing.
F the whole thing about the N64 being cartidge based.
F the fact that good game have to be M rated or that nintendo may not have many of them. I don't care.

I think I got all of them but my point is I started playing games back when nintendo brought back from the crash, and I've played nintendo/sega games all my life and my second choice for a console would be a PS2.
UnknownH Wrote:Can I say somethings honestly?
F the kiddy image some people say nintendo has. I don't give a SH.

This isn't something that I feel is particularly debatable. The plethora of kiddy games means that, aside from the games I'd buy for the system, I'd barely ever rent anything to try out until I had children. At least the PS2 attempts for a wide range of age diversity.

Quote:F the idea that graphics are the most important thing.

I don't think anyone's said that in this thread, yet. I'm pretty sure we're all smart enough here to know that a game with pretty graphics and no gameplay goes just about nowhere.

Quote:F the whole thing about the N64 being cartidge based.

The cartridge thing was fine with just about everyone. It was back in the day when the PS loading times were extraordinarily slow. People thought it was a cool idea.

Quote:F the fact that good game have to be M rated or that nintendo may not have many of them. I don't care.

You shouldn't put words in peoples' mouths. I don't want to play E rated games because the learning curve is so flat I could probably play them while catatonic. It just so happens that in addition to dealing with content I enjoy (MGS, Syphon Filter, RE, DMC, FF, etc), they could actually be considered challenging to play, and none are rated E. The ESRB ratings are a handy barometer to gauge difficulty as well as thematic content. So you don't care that your system of choice doesn't release some good games because of their rating? When has rating ever been an issue besides the GTSA Hot Coffee issue?

Quote:I think I got all of them but my point is I started playing games back when nintendo brought back from the crash, and I've played nintendo/sega games all my life and my second choice for a console would be a PS2.

It's all about choice. Everyone always thinks they made the best one. And everyone always tries to sway everyone else to their cause :p
With Wii, I'll wait and see with third-part support.
PS3 is too expensive even for ME, I'm waiting until the price goes down.
XBOX360 seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of value, I'll probably be purchasing one soon.