Join our server on Discord

My Style
Considering the character's original language is Japanese, I fail to see why we should feel compelled to use a specific dialect over another.
Quote:Considering the character's original language is Japanese, I fail to see why we should feel compelled to use a specific dialect over another.
Even the subs hint at catchphrases for characters. For example, Yoshino says "This is the worst" several times.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Wisemon Wrote:
Quote:Considering the character's original language is Japanese, I fail to see why we should feel compelled to use a specific dialect over another.
Even the subs hint at catchphrases for characters. For example, Yoshino says "This is the worst" several times.

Sure, but that is hardly a dialectal saying. Whether to use British or American slang/vocabulary should not be an issue when writing Digimon fanfiction, in my opinion.
circeus Wrote:
Wisemon Wrote:
circeus Wrote:Considering the character's original language is Japanese, I fail to see why we should feel compelled to use a specific dialect over another.

Sure, but that is hardly a dialectal saying. Whether to use British or American slang/vocabulary should not be an issue when writing Digimon fanfiction, in my opinion.

Most people will be fammiler with American characterisation. Unlike the Americans (who translate every British cartoon into American so they don't "confuse the children") we have to watch the American dubs of everything. I'm of the opinion that once people can relate to the dialect, then they can recognise the characters. It's the ultimate in characterisation. Besides, who am I to make up an entire British English characterisation? Not even English readers would be able to recognise the charaters.

I have never heard an British youth say "This is the worst." They're more likely to say "This is bollocks!" That's dialectal.
Isn't it 'bullocks'?
Marine Wrote:Isn't it 'bullocks'?

No. Bullocks is a surname, and the name of a hotel in Los Angeles.

Bollocks is a very bad word.
Herr Mullen Wrote:
Wisemon Wrote:And I use words like "hey," "yeah," "yep," "ain't," "gonna," "dude," and "fuckable" in my dialogue for an atmosphere of informality.

Yeah, buddy.

I'm rather bad at that kind of thing, I've only just started doing it, and I can't write in American slang, so I have to use what I can write with. Thus, "Fob him off," and other such gems. I'm getting better, though.

Just last week I picked up a dictionary of slang, euphemisms and other informal speech. Did you know there are more slang terms for being drunk than for either the male or female genitalia (this dictionary has, as I recall, around 5 pages of synonymous terms for being drunk, when compared to 2 for the female or male genitalia).

My reason for getting this is that I understand the critical natures of both informality and variety within a story, not to mention era appropriate slang or euphemism (for example, referencing putting one's "floppy" into another's "drive" in a medieval fantasy story would be horrbily out of place). And yes, Mullen, I'll admit I do feel that the British spellings give me some air of class in my writings, but also in some of the cases, it's simply that I feel uncomfortable with the Americanised spellings. For example, I use both spelling of center/centre, but in different contexts:

To me a center is the central point of something or the insides of a thing, while a centre is a gathering place. Hence I would speak of the center of a cookie, but of a Convention Centre (if not Hall) or a Pok