Join our server on Discord

I think I have good future ahead of me.
I've gotten over not getting into the military and now I think I have a good future planned. I plan on becoming a firefighter when I turn twenty-one. I'll stick with that for about twenty years, doing college in my spare time. I plan on getting a degree in Military history and American history, because I want to teach those two subjects.

After I retire from firefighting, I plan on moving to Colorado and going to the Colorado School of Trades, where I plan on taking a course in Gunsmithing. I'll probably open up my own business and, between the money I'm saving up now and the money I'll be earning by doing teaching and gunsmithing, I should be pretty well off. I'll be doing the things I like and making good money while doing them. As far as marriage and children, I'll leave that up to God.

The good thing about my plan is that, hopefully, something outside of my control isn't going to ruin it.
cboy Wrote:The good thing about my plan is that, hopefully, something outside of my control isn't going to ruin it.
...aside from the fact that you could cripple or possibly kill yourself fighting some giant fire?
Life's full of risks. If I wasn't willing to take risks in life, firefighting wouldn't be what I wanted to do. Besides, sooner or later, everyone dies.
Even though one of your dreams were quashed, I am happy for you that you were able to look deep within yourself to find another one. Firefighting I know it requires vigorous training and its an awesome job that gives many things back to you. Yes its risky but everything we do in our daily life is risky, your taking a calculated risk and I hope that this is not a risk rather something you can be happy about.....The family thing can wait, you chould see what the world is like, do a bit of traveling and then settle down if need be. There is so much to the world and to explore it that is an experience worth seeing...good luck with everything and I hope for the best so that you can achieve it...
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
Congradulations, that sounds like a plan to me.
Yeah, fire fighting is dangerous, but so is the military. If that is want you want, I say, run with it.
Thanks guys. It really warms my heart to hear your encouragement.
myu, I'm sure you'll be a good hero, cboy ^w^
Sounds like an awesome game plan. Although risks can be harmful, they're also what make life itself so exciting.

My brother took a firefighting course, but halted his career path after finishing. The reason? He had a brief overview of the dedication you need for taking on this career. If you plan on going into college while you're firefighting, it'd be very rewarding for you, but also VERY grueling. Your spare time would become non-existant because of the many hours you'll be training and working for this career. Here's the two average time-slots that municipal fire-departments usually apply.

-Working a 10hr shift for 3-4 days, then a 14hr nightshift for 3-4 nights, get 3-4 days off, then repeat.
-working a steady 24 hour shift, then receiving 48 hours off, then repeat.

On top of these averages, you'll usually work during holiday hours while finishing your apprenticeship! :shock: When you're a firefighter, you also need to eventually become a Certified Emergency Medical Technician, the same course a paramedic would need to take. All in all, this course takes a slick year to complete, while becoming a firefighter takes several weeks of training. I'm not trying to scare ya! But TEACHING also takes, well, shitloads of dedication in order to get your Bachelors degree, while some states will also require a master's degree in education.

If you do take on both of these careers alone, you'll retire with enough money to buy a place in Heaven. But if you do continue down this road, I'd suggest getting sponsored by Red Bull!!!
Quote:you also need to eventually become a Certified Emergency Medical Technician

I may be able to get that out of the way early by pulling some volunteer work at a local volunteer fire department. My parents say that most volunteer fire departments will send you to a special training course for free.

Time and money will tell if I go ahead with my teaching career. I'm quite content just reading about military history. A teacher at a local college has given me the name of a man who teaches military history at Arkansas Tech. I plan on speaking with him about the career. Also, I read that some fire departments actually encourage you to learn more about firefighting in college, offering money and other benefits. I think I might be able to use that to squeeze in learning about teaching military history.

I'm just going to wait and see for now. However, one things for sure, I will learn gunsmithing as a trade and hopefully start my own business after I retire from fire fighting. I like firearms and it would probably be a very rewarding job considering how many people own firearms.
Wicked strings and offers, looks like these jobs'll fit like a hand in a glove. When the time comes to jump this challenge, I wish ya luck!
Quote:it would probably be a very rewarding job considering how many people own firearms
Ya, especially in the South! 8)