Join our server on Discord

How do you keep going?
How do you keep going when nothing seems to go for you? When I graduated high school in 2005, I was on top of the world. I had a girlfriend who loved me, a future in the marines to be proud of. Then the marines turn me down, my girlfriend dumps me, I find out that I'm permanently disqualified from joining the service, and my first three jobs don't work out and now my fourth one isn't working out. I know I still have things to be thankful for and I'm trying to stay optimistic about my future, but after having everything going right and then suddenly go wrong, how can I be confident anymore?

I mean, yeah I have a home, a family, food, clothing and all that. But how can I be sure those won't suddenly go away? And if they do, what then?
First of all, you're feeling insecure because you've been turned down from four jobs which you think is a reflection on you as a person. Calm down. Your family won't leave you, and they aren't about to vanish in a puff of smoke. Understand? You have a safe haven to which you can return.

Next, jobs. You'll find your niche, eventually. There may be a long, hard slog in finding out what you want to do, and then doing, but you'll get there. It's always difficult coming out of education. There are thousands in your position. You will be fine, just wait.

It's sometimes hard, isn't it.
What's really got me down is how everything that made me happy just suddenly went away. If you could put me beside the person I was right after graduation, you would be able to see how much I've changed because of what's happened to me.
Nothing lasts forever. You're bound to have downs, but that also means you're sure to have ups, as well.
For the girlfriend, it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. At least you have your memories. As for the marines, even if that's what you really wanted to do, well, you know, the death risk.

I really wanted to design toys when I graduated from high school, so I went to college and studied to be a mechanical engineer, only to find that none of the toy making jobs are in the U.S., and even if they were, nobody buys toys anymore nowadays anyway. So instead, I make parts for planes. It's not exactly what I wanted to do, but it pays alright. I've done the job hunts dozens and dozens of times for summer and full-time. It's not fun, and your chances are slim, but you can't give up. There's always a place for you in America's thriving fast food industry.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Yeah dissapointment has been the only constant in my life so I've gotten used to it. Deaths, losing close friends, losing all hope of ever playing any sport. I wanted to become a firefighter or cop since that's what most of the guys in my family did but the leg thing kinda destroyed that dream, then thought of being a doctor but unfortunately I can't due to medical problems from when I was younger, can't really do anything that I wanted to do when I was little. How do I keep going? I keep telling myself: "It can't get any worse." And then someone finds a way to make it alot worse. That's probably why I'm not into religion, spent my entire childhood till I was 7 being a perfect little saint and then my life goes straight to hell and hasn't returned.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
I'm real sorry to hear that Shadowknight. As bad as my life is, I still haven't turned my back on God. I'm no preacher, but I know that no matter how bad life gets, God will always love me. And one day, He will bring me out of this mess I'm in. That's one thing that keeps me going.

I'll keep you in my prayers if it makes you feel any better. God seems to favor the people I pray for (He brought my friend's sister out of suicide and He helped my manager's wife when she almost died). Hopefully life will brighten up for you.
Quote:I mean, yeah I have a home, a family, food, clothing and all that. But how can I be sure those won't suddenly go away? And if they do, what then?
Cope with that feeling. I've had that same feeling all my life.
cboy Wrote:How do you keep going when nothing seems to go for you? When I graduated high school in 2005, I was on top of the world. I had a girlfriend who loved me, a future in the marines to be proud of. Then the marines turn me down, my girlfriend dumps me, I find out that I'm permanently disqualified from joining the service, and my first three jobs don't work out and now my fourth one isn't working out. I know I still have things to be thankful for and I'm trying to stay optimistic about my future, but after having everything going right and then suddenly go wrong, how can I be confident anymore?

I mean, yeah I have a home, a family, food, clothing and all that. But how can I be sure those won't suddenly go away? And if they do, what then?

It's only been a year for you? And you feel this bad about it?

I've had three jobs, excluding newspaper delivery, before my current one delivering pizzas. One of those only lasted THREE DAYS. Only one of the other two worked out well for me, but I fucked it up by ruining my priorities. It took ne three years to get a job after that, and I already told you how long that one lasted. Now I deliver pizzas, getting minimum wage and minimal hours (plus mileage and tips) and need to pay for my cell phone, car, and insurance with that.

On your last questions. . .

You can never be sure that something will not go away. That's where you need to have faith. I'm not even trying to talk about any sort of religious faith -- whether or not that sort of faith is for you is your own call to make -- just basic faith that you will not suddenly find yourself without friends, family, shelter, food and clothing. Faith that you will have warning in some of those circumstances. Faith that although things can get worse, they can also get better.

It's also important to have a safety net of some sort. Living on the street is never an ideal circumstance, and if you have a friend or family member who can house you should things go horribly wrong, that would be a positive move for you to make as a preparatory action.

For the first time since 2002, I'm satisfied with where my life is. It may take you a few years to get here, or it may take decades, but I pray that at some point you will find satisfaction with your life. My satisfaction comes from working, even if the work isn't enough to cover the expenses of me leaving the house, and from writing. I don't know where you will find yours or when, but I hope that you will.
I guess it was just the suddeness of it all that just got me down. I mean, having all those good things suddenly go away, how could I not feel down. I'm not so bummed out now. My parents have assured me that they won't throw me out as long as I pull my weight, which means having a job and paying for the things I want.

Right now, the only thing that's not going so good is my job, which I'm trying to get out of. I've put in applications at places that are actually hiring, so hopefully I won't have to work out in the blazing heat for too much longer.