Join our server on Discord

[AOTM] The August Contest [Updated: FINAL SCORES]
Judging was sent too. Oh the glorious suspense. How I hate it. However, this is yet so thrilling. Out of six authors (excluding myself) I already easily recognized five, hee hee.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
DragonMasterX Wrote:Judging was sent too. Oh the glorious suspense. How I hate it. However, this is yet so thrilling. Out of six authors (excluding myself) I already easily recognized five, hee hee.

I knew I'd decieve you. I had no doubt.

I recognised two. They were the ones with names.
Well, I have to say that I love when you use Jyou in your disclaimer.

But true, one had it's name.

The other were you, it was easy from the previous statement.

One, I know who was because of some information he had asked myself some weeks ago, and I already know his writing preferences.

Ah, for the other one, I wonder who would write gore?

The fifth was easy to guess, I only had to eliminate chances.

However, the first lemon of [inster author's name here], I don't know who is. That one DID decieve me. Out of seven, I only touched six, and out of those six, only one escaped my eyes.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
I deceived someone too. ^_^ I like tricking people, and I think my deception there shows something about my progression of style and skill. And this over the last year, which has been largely unproductive in regards to my writing.

Mullen, you complimented me and I promise that I return it in kind, so don't think it goes unappreciated, but I. . . am not. . . a girl. You said Tenderness sounded most promising, and my, if you thought me a woman in my way of writing it, I surely must have met, or exceeded, your expectations for it.

As a hint on scoring, I think two particular pieces will be in very close competition -- indeed, the winner at this point relies entirely on the scores of one reviewer, and two are so close that. . . Oh, I quiver at thinking of which entry will win.
DragonMasterX Wrote:However, the first lemon of [inster author's name here], I don't know who is. That one DID decieve me. Out of seven, I only touched six, and out of those six, only one escaped my eyes.

Um, not so sure I can technically decieve you when you've (most likely) never seen anything I've written before. Although I am certain my story will not win the contest, I consider it to have been a valiant first attempt. The few pages that it was took me a few days to write because of the general awkwardness I felt writing a sex scene. (Which may very well be why I didn't focus too much on the sex there.)

Hopefully if I wind up entering next month's contest, (Kinda up in the air about writing something for it and judging it, with school starting again and all) then I won't feel so weird writing it and can bring more story into it for everything.

Looking forward to all the feedback that I will get from my fellow judges when the scores are finally posted. ^_^
Knight of the new moon Wrote:Um, not so sure I can technically decieve you when you've (most likely) never seen anything I've written before. Although I am certain my story will not win the contest, I consider it to have been a valiant first attempt. The few pages that it was took me a few days to write because of the general awkwardness I felt writing a sex scene. (Which may very well be why I didn't focus too much on the sex there.)

Hopefully if I wind up entering next month's contest, (Kinda up in the air about writing something for it and judging it, with school starting again and all) then I won't feel so weird writing it and can bring more story into it for everything.

Looking forward to all the feedback that I will get from my fellow judges when the scores are finally posted. ^_^

Kay then, from now, no one decieved me. Muah.

So, "Tenderness" is you Nate, knew it. He he he he...
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Nate Hunter Wrote:I deceived someone too. ^_^ I like tricking people, and I think my deception there shows something about my progression of style and skill. And this over the last year, which has been largely unproductive in regards to my writing.

Mullen, you complimented me and I promise that I return it in kind, so don't think it goes unappreciated, but I. . . am not. . . a girl. You said Tenderness sounded most promising, and my, if you thought me a woman in my way of writing it, I surely must have met, or exceeded, your expectations for it.

You have really studied the points in Of Sex Scenes and Storytelling, haven't you? It was one of the best sexual encounters I have read, but I still thought Miyako was off.

Nate Hunter Wrote:As a hint on scoring, I think two particular pieces will be in very close competition -- indeed, the winner at this point relies entirely on the scores of one reviewer, and two are so close that. . . Oh, I quiver at thinking of which entry will win.

How is the scoring done? Mean, or Median?

Concidering that, what, four of the peices were written by judges and were therefore had one reveiw discounted, Median would make the most sence as it doesn't matter how many reveiws the story had.

Or do you do it by fractions? Add up all the scores, then standardise the denominator?
The fractions sound like a common method. I mean, it's the easiest one to use, and it'd leave you with only ONE score. But well, yet maybe Nate doesn't use that method.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
On the judges, the four scores divided by 400 -- four scores with a possible 100 on each.

On the two non-judge entries, the lowest judge's score is dropped, and the remaining score is appplied in the same fashion. In both cases this will be the same judge's score.

Concerning my sexual content there, I began Tenderness with the goal of a romance in mind, and originally did not plan it to be a lemon. This is why it had some of the ususual content for a yuri fic, and I very much enjoyed writing the mental reactions to the experiences. I really do love cuddling, and I believe that it may take a more prominent role in some of my romantic pieces in the future -- not that all of my stories will be such.

I did skim the link provided in "Of Sex Scenes and Storytelling", but I already knew much of it from "The Joy of Writing Sex", a wonderful book I picked up about two years ago. In fact, the general style of the link makes me think it's a light version of this for writers of eros, combined with the brevity and clarity of "The Elements of Style".

I personally disagree with your comments on Miyako's behaviour, and will further address that in my comments, although one point I'd like to make clear right off the bat is that I never said Miyako never masturbated -- just that she had never done so to orgasm. Many women have not. If she intended to have her first orgasm with her right man and at the right time she may have intentionally avoided it; it is no less likely than that, however, that she simply did not have the knowledge of how to achieve one on her own.

Most important here was maintaining the characters I was using through the sex scene, and not making them dull for it, as well as expressing that these two are in love, and that Miyako is feeling things for the first time. I find a few semantic issues, aside from some minor typos ("everr", "on" instead of "one", and "ay" instead of "say"; all will fixed when I publish it), where I admit I may have made a wrong choice in wording, punctuation, or flow. I'll be reviewing it based on the comments from you fellows and seeing what is best left and what is best fixed.
Aside from my elimination process, I knew it was you Nate, because I had seen that way of writing Yuri before. I just had to check on the pad. I was... fabled by the nice scene, I like how you write descriptions a lot.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad