Join our server on Discord

Old rant: video games.
senjuro Wrote:But children's cartoons are no less violent. Take a look at good ol' Looney Tunes. How often does Elmer Fudd ending shooting himself?

You do have a point, but do note you said "ol'" as in old. I would dare to say that times are a bit different. This here will hit on some censorship issues as well. Kids shows these days. How many of them do actuall show guns being directly pointed at people? Then again there is a fallicy there as well. What kind of cartoons do Americans actually drawfor kids these days? True the anime do have them, but the few I've seen seem to have been either cut or edited to remove such violence.

Let's not forget that there are those who are completly opposed to ALL what has been mentioned. The over dominating parents. So nearly all of what has been mentioned is wrong and didn't carry any good value to begin with anyways. My Dad will say nearly all of what is on television is crap. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't say the TV is crap, it's just the people. There are some shows that he has enjoyed thoroughly... though they were few and far between.
Herr Mullen Wrote:
DragonMasterX Wrote:I think that society is plain wrong when judging, and yet again, they are a bunch of hipocrites.

"Never speak ill of society; only people who can't get into it do that."

Who's society to you, then?
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
One reason many parents blame games for problems is they don't want to blame themselves for their kids problems. I have plenty examples to back this up, one is the subliminal message trial with Judas Priest. To sum it up two kids kill themselves with shotguns while high and listening to judas priest. In the song "Better by You Better Than Me" there is a subliminal message that supposedly says the "Do It". The parents said this caused the boys to kill themselves. Judas Preist came back saying "Well...do what? Mow the lawn? Have a drink?" In the end Judas Priest won. Also Catcher in the Rye is the book most commonly found in Serial killers homes should that be branded evil. Ya it's true that too much violence at an early age is a bad thing, but parents should know when they are sheltering their kids too much it can have bad effects I have seen them. Also games can be good to that brain age game for the ds can actually help you think better and I heard that from a doctor. Also Games can help you make friends, I have made many friends from playing games and their friends at school not online ones I will never meet. But my rants are pointless they will never change anyone's opinions so whatever.
Harie Wrote:You do have a point, but do note you said "ol'" as in old. I would dare to say that times are a bit different.

Does that date me? Oops, I'm not THAT old. I'm only 22.

Quote:True the anime do have them, but the few I've seen seem to have been either cut or edited to remove such violence.

Very true. Any time anyone throws a punch (or slap) in Digimon Adventure, the screen cuts ahead a few frames to show the person reeling back from the blow. Tai and Matt tussle more than enough for this to be apparent. Also notable is the slap fight between Angewomon and Lady Devimon.

My girlfriend and I talk about this subject a lot, mainly because she's a teacher and has done all these child development courses and I'm on the side of kids that are supposedly being fucked up by all the violence in media these days.

I never, and I mean NEVER spent time outside playing when I was a kid. I much preferred to stay inside and play video games, watch TV, or read. The only time I ever wanted to go outside was when it was dark out (retrospectively I realize that this was due to my eyes' extreme sensitivity to light).

Anyway, if you lay my life against the template that society sets out of an anti-social gamer, there are very few congruities. My family is pretty tight, I'm well socially adjusted, moderately physically fit (though I'm taking steps to get in MUCH better shape), and have other hobbies outside gaming. I'm not irrationally violent, nor do I have any difficulty discerning reality from fantasy. I even have a girlfriend! *gasp*

How does this make sense, especially when you take into consideration that I was playing whatever games I liked: fighting games, RPG's, platformers. I still played Mortal Kombat, even though my mother didn't approve.

Here's the ticket: SUPERVISION. I spent so little time unsupervised by either my father or a sibling that I can scarcely remember a time as a kid when I wasn't playing a game with a family member around. In fact, I remember my whole family watching when I finished Super Mario Bros. 3 (I rounded them all up to witness the moment of victory!).

Kids are a lot like pets: you shouldn't have them if you don't have the appropriate amount of time to spend with them. Except you need way more time to invest in a child's life. Maybe society's demonization of the stay-at-home parent is partly to blame, maybe the horrible immagery in the media takes a share, too. But if there's NOTHING I've learned from all the stats my g/f has told me is that there's no substitute for parental involvement where children are concerned.
DragonMasterX Wrote:
Herr Mullen Wrote:
DragonMasterX Wrote:I think that society is plain wrong when judging, and yet again, they are a bunch of hipocrites.

"Never speak ill of society; only people who can't get into it do that."

Who's society to you, then?

It's a quote from The Importance of Being Ernest which I thought was both funny and related.

Senjuro Wrote:Very true. Any time anyone throws a punch (or slap) in Digimon Adventure, the screen cuts ahead a few frames to show the person reeling back from the blow. Tai and Matt tussle more than enough for this to be apparent. Also notable is the slap fight between Angewomon and Lady Devimon.

My favorate is that a country which practicly advocates gun-use cut out any guns firing in the Puppetmon episodes, and yet in Germany, where guns are illegal, they kept it comletely uncut in that respect.
Dridien TerrorBlade Wrote:yes but once you relize 90% of sociaty is nothing but idiots it all makes sence

yes, that and that 87% of all figures are made up on the spot to prove a point
Not to mention, with polls, alone, you can never be sure how wide the actually surveyed audience acutally is.

As far as television is concerned I would say Looney toons is old. It may be a little drastic; be that as it may, I'm sure there are some kids who have never really seen any of it.
Herr Mullen Wrote:It's a quote from The Importance of Being Ernest which I thought was both funny and related.

Very like of you, now that I think about it, yeah, I had heard that before, not sure if that's the ''book'' but I'm sure I heard it once.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad