Join our server on Discord

Poll: Firefighter or Police Officer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Firefighter
0%
0 0%
Police officer
100.00%
6 100.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Firefigher or Police officer (with plans to join SWAT team)
I know I've said I'm planning on being a firefighter when I'm twenty-one, but I've also looked at becoming a police officer and then joining the SWAT team. Firefighting is something I've been interested in since I was a kid (though it went on the backburner when I began looking at the military), but I've heard that police officers are paid better ($42,000 a year compared to $30,000 a year for firefighters) and being on a SWAT team would be pretty close to being a soldier.

However, and I'm saying this next part in the most respectable manner and waving a flag of truce while doing so, I have read about the LA riots that resulted from the Police "beating" of Rodney King (I'm not going to say anything about the beating itself, however I don't believe it gave African-Americans the right to launch such acts of violence). I've read articles about police officers who shot an African-American after he drew a knife on them and charged them. The cops were kicked off of the force and had to put up with being called racist murderers for the rest of their lives. I've also seen a video showing a cop being chewed out by an African-American he pulled over for speeding, being called a "pig", "racist", "stormtrooper", etc. The next moring, said cop was called into the office of his superior and was nearly kicked off the force because the man he pulled over said the cop used a racial slur in front of him (he only got off because his partner, who is also African-American, vouched for him)

I personally have nothing against African-Americans, but one of my pet peeves is having to put up with what I call "temper tantrums" that they throw when you so much as look at them the wrong way. I've been called the "N" word, I've been yelled at and called "prejudiced" and "racist" for simply asking an African-American to be quiet during class, I've had nearly my entire middle school ready to lynch me for turning an African-American's act of calling me the "N" word back at him.

Now, I'm not trying to offend anyone on this board, I'm simply stating why I'm hesitant to become a police officer. So please don't flame me and just answer the poll question and add any advice or comments you may have.

P.S. Any information on SWAT team member requirments and training would be much appreciated.
Become a police officer, and you get the chance to proove that most coppers aren't racist.
Become a police officer first, and then worry about discrimination lawsuits. You've got to pass a police officer's exam first (or possibly a firefighter's exam). I think you're safer as a police officer. You won't be inhaling smoke on a daily basis, unless you're a smoker, in which case, please become a firefighter.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
My opinion is that you could possibly join the police and see if they could assign you to the special ops division. I mean it would be nice to see a cop that doesnt discriminate or is racist or is a plain ass. Around my area most of the gang members know people fomr the inside and walk away with alot of thing...Its unfortunate that you couldn't join the army but go with police officer....and whatever you select, We'll back you up....
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
Go for the police... They sound more interesting. Unless you get a lot of fires there.
go with the police. as Herr Mullen and LG said, proove that all police officers arent racist.
I think you should become a police officer. As long as you stick to those morals, then you'll be helping to prove the police aren't racist and you won't have to deal with smoke and other noxious fumes if you were a firefighter.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
if i had to choose one of the two, i would go with police officer myself.
If you chose cop, good luck getting me!

*sprint*

If you chose fire fighter, good luck getting me!

*throws cocktail and sprints*
*draws pistol and shoots EpsilonZX in the back*

*throws fire ax and takes EpsilonZX throwing arm off*

I've actually been thinking about it and it looks like firefighter is going to be my choice. I've been into firefighters since I was a kid. The only thing drawing me to the police is the SWAT team and I think you have to be a cop for a certain number of years before you can join. As I've found out with my current job, money doesn't get rid of the boredom and monotney of an undesired job. I'm still going to try and get some more info about being a cop, but I think firefighting is my future career.