Join our server on Discord

Then again, you've heard it all before
So I had dinner with a girl whom I really like, and I think she likes me. We have the same political orientation, similar financial backgrounds, and we volunteer to teach kids together. The conversation went pretty well, except we hit a few snags along the way; they could be major snags:

Her: So, I'm not a religious person, but my grandmother said that if I marry a Jew or an atheist, I'm going to hell.
Me: ...Whoops.

Her: Uh, you've been here five years? How old are you?
Me: How old do I look?
Her: I don't like to guess.
Me: *Reluctantly* I'm 22 (four years older than her).
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Go Wisemon! four years younger, same money, likes children! What a find she is, don't let heaven or hell get in the way (between you and the evil scientist (me) there is no hell or heaven)

If I have to stand in on your behalf, I will...

He's a great guy! Real friendly like, can write just beautifully, I'm telling you, his words lift off the paper and into your soul (sheds tear with a smile) and don't you worry about going to hell, because everyday with Wise is like heaven! Think of all you can be together with him, and in my personal opinion, he ain't half bad looking (whistles at Wise) they don't come like him anymore, he's a real down to earth guy (pulls out diagram for her to see about how caring Wise is)

so tell her this! if you like her yu should tell her straight out, who knows the possibilties!
Quote:If I have to stand in on your behalf, I will...

He's a great guy! Real friendly like, can write just beautifully, I'm telling you, his words lift off the paper and into your soul (sheds tear with a smile) and don't you worry about going to hell, because everyday with Wise is like heaven! Think of all you can be together with him, and in my personal opinion, he ain't half bad looking (whistles at Wise) they don't come like him anymore, he's a real down to earth guy (pulls out diagram for her to see about how caring Wise is)

so tell her this! if you like her yu should tell her straight out, who knows the possibilties!
Thanks, that's great stuff! Now do you think you could write me a recommendation for grad school and sign off as an engineering professor?
I know that you saw me.
Get in there. She sounds like a nice girl, go for it. If it were ten years in the future, the four year difference would mean nothing.

I've forgotten the legal age of consent in the states, however. Here it's 16.
Quote:I've forgotten the legal age of consent in the states, however. Here it's 16.
You mean to consent to have dinner with me? Because that's all I see happening in the near future. Wink
I know that you saw me.
A little question, Wise.....did you pay her dinner?
Well, agewise I don't thinks it's a problem. I doubt there'll be any legal issues arising there with age.

The OTHER issue will be very problematic. Good luck with that and hope it works out for all.
Wisemon Wrote:Her: So, I'm not a religious person, but my grandmother said that if I marry a Jew or an atheist, I'm going to hell.
Me: ...Whoops.

Repeat after me: "The righteous of all nations have a place in the world-to-come."
Well you may believe that, but not everyone does.
Quote:"The righteous of all nations have a place in the world-to-come."
:? I don't think that's going to help me.

Quote:A little question, Wise.....did you pay her dinner?
We ate in a dining hall, meaning that both of our meals were pre-paid, hers by her parents, and me by myself. It's part of the housing contract.

Quote:The OTHER issue will be very problematic.
Actually, she seems pretty cool, even rebellious, about the religion thing. I think the age difference is a bigger problem, if only because I'm ready to graduate and she's just starting.
I know that you saw me.