Join our server on Discord

Digi Names
Has anyone noticed that Digimon names are broken words that have -mon added to the end? Gatomon, gato being Spanish for cat and in turn, she is a cat. Leomon, Leo meaning lion in astrology or Latin. Devimon, Devi being short for Devil who is an oppent of all that is good. Beside the common names there are, Renamon, Rena short for Renard which is Fox in French (I think it is said some where though), Babmon, wife of Jijimon with Baba being Chinese and Indian for an old woman who practiced magic. I am not sure of to many others but the list goes on, if anyone would like to add, feel free ^ ^
He's right in saying that, I thinked it a lot and just came with a stupid and pointless answer, mon=monster, Gatomon=Cat Monster...

Anyways there are easy ones:

Flamedramon: Flame=Fire, dra=Dragon
Raindramon: Rain=Storm, dra=Dragon
Imperialdramon: Imperial=Imperial(like an emperor I think...), dra=Dragon
Angemon: Ange=Angel
Machinedramon: Machine(seriously, he's robot)=Machine, dra=Dragon
Piedmon: Pied= Pierrot(like the joker)
Palmon: Pal=Palm

And more... quite more...
But I just came with the short list of easy, I really can't figure Agu or Gabu...
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Agu and Gabu as well as some other names are japenese. Since all digimon names can be broken down into words. http://www.thedigiport.com/dex-masterlist.shtml
Look around here for different ones.
Like Raidramon? Rai= Japanese for thunder/lightning
I think agunimon is just a mixed up version of "Agni" the fire god.
beowulfmon, beowulf= the one who killed grendel (a monster).
Kyuubimon: kyuubi= japanese for nine-tailed... fox demon or something.
I cant remember anything else.
for now.
Agu is short for agurabana, meaning "wide flat nose" and gabu is an abbreviation of "gabugabu" which means to guzzle (eat and/or drink very quickly). Lots of the other ones have names similar to that, with shortened japanese words as part of their name.

Patamon, pata is short for "patapata", japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of flapping wings or Pukamon (Bukamon in North America), puka being short for "pukapuka", japaneses onomatopoeia for the sound of floating.

Just about all of them have some sort of meaning to them, whether they're obvious or obscure. At least the creators were thinking when they came up with them.
Quote:I think agunimon is just a mixed up version of "Agni" the fire god.
I thought Agunimon Japanese name was 'Agnimon', I had that from the 3rd digimon world game for the PS.
So maybe your right about it.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Agunimon is the way Japanese people pronounce "Agnimon". Agni was a Hindu fire god of some sort.

Isn't this whole name thing rather obvious?
Quote:Agunimon is the way Japanese people pronounce "Agnimon". Agni was a Hindu fire god of some sort.

Isn't this whole name thing rather obvious?
Yes, Agni is the Hindu god of ritual flame, and yes, this whole naming thing is totally obvious.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
I know that, but still it's fun to post.
Semi-sorta... digimon are a bit harder to notice that then pokemon. Pokemon use animals where digimon mostly use creatures of legend. Besides, not everyone is swift in every aspect of everything. And gunter is right it is fun going over these things. Some names are harder for people to find their origin due to their lack of knowledge in that area.