Join our server on Discord

He really knows his shtick
My campus's rabbi sent me an email today (completely out of the blue), and there ended up being three back and forth messages.

Rabbi: B"H Do you know Rabbi Wolwovsky from Glastonbury?

Me: Sorry, as far as I know, I do not know him. My little brother and my father went to temple for a while. They might know him.

Rabbi: OK... anyways he is a friend... What are you doing over the weekend?

Me: I'll probably study for my Indian Literature and Computational Mechanics exams. When I'm not doing that, I'll probably be working on my fictional series, or maybe some poetry.

Rabbi: Sounds good...
if you want you can come to our home (Chabad House) tonight for Shabbat dinner

Me: That sounds nice, but I eat a very special diet. I would not want to impose that on your table, nor would I want you to watch me sit eating nothing while you eat. Besides, I live right over a dining hall, and it's still snowing. If it's all the same, I would prefer to eat where I am.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Indian Literature and Computational Mechanics

Interesting combination of classes...
...So you're Jewish? I never knew that.
Quote:...So you're Jewish? I never knew that.
It's not something that I go around advertising, and it's not like I really believe in it. The rabbi was able to figure it out by my name, and that's why he sent me those emails.
I know that you saw me.
Wisemon Wrote:
Quote:...So you're Jewish? I never knew that.
It's not something that I go around advertising, and it's not like I really believe in it. The rabbi was able to figure it out by my name, and that's why he sent me those emails.

Ah. do you still get presents for eight days and make latkes? I fucking LOVE the potatoe pancakes... (this is also a legitimate question. im not trying to be a dick or anything.)
Yes and no. My family no longer makes latkes, because we're all on diets. My diet just happens to be the strictest, so I wouldn't eat any potato products. My mom got me one present (a laptop), and for the other seven nights, I'll probably open the presents that I bought myself (CD's). We don't celebrate on the proper nights though; we just do it whenever we manage to have the whole family gathered. So we did one night over Thanksgiving break, and we'll do the other seven over winter vacation. The rabbi would consider us to be bad Jews. :roll:
I know that you saw me.
Wisemon Wrote:Yes and no. My family no longer makes latkes, because we're all on diets. My diet just happens to be the strictest, so I wouldn't eat any potato products. My mom got me one present (a laptop), and for the other seven nights, I'll probably open the presents that I bought myself (CD's). We don't celebrate on the proper nights though; we just do it whenever we manage to have the whole family gathered. So we did one night over Thanksgiving break, and we'll do the other seven over winter vacation. The rabbi would consider us to be bad Jews. :roll:

lol, still sounds like a pretty good Chaunukah to me.

..Did i spell that right?
Quote:..Did i spell that right?
There's like four different spellings, but I don't think that was any of them. It's a foreign word anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
I know that you saw me.
I didn't really know he was jewish either until he told me. But like my other friend, wise isn't that jewish. Now if I have a jewish question, I have someone to ask. Heh heh Plus I don't add him in with my Merry X-mas email I send to the people on my address list. I would have never known it if he wouldn't have told me.

By the way, your campus has a rabbi?
Quote:By the way, your campus has a rabbi?
We've got a rabbi, a priest, a minister, and several bars. Wink
I know that you saw me.