Join our server on Discord

The scope of my desire
I'm proud to say that I just went over the 4000 track mark on my Dell DJ, mostly with CD's that I own. Here's a review of two of my latest pickups:

Audioslave's "Live in Cuba":

This is a DVD that includes a free EP. The DVD includes a long documentary about how the groundbreaking concert was arranged, sites that the band visited, and the whole music as a uniter philosophy. The concert itself had a great song selection, including three Soundgarden songs and two Rage Against The Machine songs. Though Chris's vocals weren't quite as sharp as they are in the studio, it was a good concert overall. Some of the highlights were "Heaven's Dead," "Outshined," "Your Time Has Come," "Spoonman," "Shadow On The Sun," "Cochise," and the Chris Cornell version of "Sleep Now In The Fire," lol which is also on the EP. Having an audience of 70,000 screaming Cubans must've been interesting. The audience was large because the concert was free; this was a diplomatic concert, a rarity in the music biz.

Green Day's "Bullet in a Bible":

Another DVD/CD, from a band that usually sounds better live than in the studio (I own three other live Green Day CD's), but this was disappointing. For one thing, the song selection only appealed to the newbie Green Day fans. I know they're proud of "American Idiot" (from the documentary), but seven songs from that album and one or two from the others is just not fair. There wasn't anything from "Kerplunk!," which is one of my favorite albums, and they only played "Brain Stew/Jaded" from "Insomniac," my favorite album. They did put a lot of energy into the songs, which is why they're usually better live, but then they blew it with extra crap. Billy Joe keeps doing the annoying Freddy Mercury thing where he gets the crowd to "whoa" after him on every fucking song during the solos. If you want to make the songs longer, extend the guitar solos a little, but don't drag out "Hitchin' a Ride" with say "a 1-2, a 1-2-3-4" after "whoa"-ing and mock masturbating for five minutes. What the fuck was "Shout" doing in the song list? Their concerts already include "We Are The Champions;" they don't need anymore covers. Fortunately, the CD edits out most of the crap, but not all of it. The live versions of "Jesus of Suburbia," "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," "Basket Case," "Longview," and "Brain Stew" are pretty decent, better than the studio, but I'm still pissed about how little Green Day cares about making sure they get a good representation from all of their albums at a concert. "And I don't care if you don't care..."

I also bought Shinedown's new album recently. I'll tell you about that later; I'm not sure about it yet.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Gee, I'd usually go for Green day, but I guess Audio Slave is better here.
You know I wondered if you got the green day dvd yet.
Quote:Gee, I'd usually go for Green day, but I guess Audio Slave is better here.
I would say that the Audioslave DVD is definitely superior, especially on the second viewing. Tom Morello does things with a guitar that you have to see to believe. Tim does this really weird thing with his bass to get that unique sound at the beginning of "Cochise." Chris actually plucks his throat to get the vocal vibration at the end of "Show Me How To Live." These are some of the most talented performers alive today. My only complaint is that Chris was kind of low energy on a lot of the vocals, and I expect extra energy for a concert performance. He got better towards the end. Interesting fact: In his days with Soundgarden, he frequently burned out his vocal chords during concerts. Perhaps nowadays he takes preventive measures.
I know that you saw me.
I picked the DVD up for my friend; he's a super huge RATM fan, and I thought he might like Audioslave...

Well, turns out I was wrong, so now I get to keep the DVD. O.o

Anyways, I thought it was pretty good overall; I thought it was hilarious when Cornell rapped "Killing in the name", but that just proves how flexible he is, vocal-wise.

First American band in Cuba...a landmark in Audioslave history.

Actually, it's a landmark in Cuban history. It's just another gig for 'Slave.
Quote: I thought it was hilarious when Cornell rapped "Killing in the name", but that just proves how flexible he is, vocal-wise.
No, he "rapped" "Sleep Now In The Fire." They were nice enough to put an audio version on the bonus disc, the aol sessions.
I know that you saw me.
Oh yeah. o.O Why'd I say Killin' in the name...