Join our server on Discord

How to Save America
As I've mentioned before, I'm for it. I know there's all kinds of financial things behind it, but I'm a hopeless romantic who believes that love (between two consenting humans no, you sick fucks can't marry Renamon) is wherever it's found, and marriage, not sex, is the best expression of it. That reminds me, I've still got the rest of my series completed and ready to send in, not that it'll matter if there are no more updates.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Actually, since this is a thread on how to save America (or shave it, which would be a better thread I think), I think I should put in my own two cents.

Get rid of the minimum wage. Now, now, don't rial up against me in some fury, hear me out. If everybody lowers their paychecks, the deflation caused by it will increase their spending power (because their savings would be worth more), we will be able to pay back our debts as a nation more, and would also decrease unemployment.

Cut the budget. Now, this is going to be a dousy. First, we could cut legislation against such companies like the drug companies (also decreasing unemployment), therefore phasing out such programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, which would get rid of 17% of our government spending (roughly 308.5 billion dollars), secondly we could cut subsidiaries to such things as powerplants (which only serves to create monopolies, and don't really accomplish anything), we could (as Bush said) phase out Social Security, cutting another 22% of our budget, privatize NASA (it's going there anyway), decrease our National Defense budget (like, say, letting the UN in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not getting involved in any more wars. We can bring down Al Queda through the CIA, and the like). Oh, and we can privatize enviornmental programs (possibly the government would give them subsidiaries/tax exemption). This would make it much easier to pay off our national debt, drastically cut taxes, and, get this...HAVE A BALANCED BUDGET!

I know I'm going to get flamed for this one.
Quote:I know I'm going to get flamed for this one.
Damn straight, everything you just said straddles the line between stupid and evil.

Quote:Get rid of the minimum wage. Now, now, don't rial up against me in some fury, hear me out. If everybody lowers their paychecks, the deflation caused by it will increase their spending power (because their savings would be worth more), we will be able to pay back our debts as a nation more, and would also decrease unemployment.
As it is, Wal-Mart employees don't make enough to get off welfare. I'm not saying it should be raised right now, but certainly don't cut it.

Quote:First, we could cut legislation against such companies like the drug companies (also decreasing unemployment), therefore phasing out such programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, which would get rid of 17% of our government spending (roughly 308.5 billion dollars), secondly we could cut subsidiaries to such things as powerplants (which only serves to create monopolies, and don't really accomplish anything), we could (as Bush said) phase out Social Security, cutting another 22% of our budget, privatize NASA (it's going there anyway), decrease our National Defense budget (like, say, letting the UN in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not getting involved in any more wars. We can bring down Al Queda through the CIA, and the like). Oh, and we can privatize enviornmental programs (possibly the government would give them subsidiaries/tax exemption). This would make it much easier to pay off our national debt, drastically cut taxes, and, get this...HAVE A BALANCED BUDGET!
Right now, drugs aren't regulated enough, and as I've explained, drug companies have more than enough profit to through around. For instance, did you notice the multiple Super Bowl penis pill ads? I'll agree that we seriously need to decrease military spending. First, let's stop building new weapons (shit, I'm an engineer). Second, let's call it a semi-victory and start pulling troops (if Iraq fails with U.S. troops gone, it wasn't a real democracy anyway). Privatizing government programs doesn't work, plain and simple. It's just an excuse to abandon funding. If they were profitable, there would already be private companies. Nobody wants to insure just the elderly for health insurance (Medicare). Nobody wants to give them handouts (social security). That's why the government has to do it. I think the ideal solution would be the mandatory execution of all smokers over 65. They've had long enough to quit, and they're just going to drain Medicare with their lung cancer or various other complications. Seniors are the greatest burden (not the greatest generation), so we need to make them prove that they really deserve their handouts, that they're really doing everything they can on their own to help themselves.
I know that you saw me.
Quote:As it is, Wal-Mart employees don't make enough to get off welfare. I'm not saying it should be raised right now, but certainly don't cut it.

Well, first of all, many of these jobs are part-time. Second of all, they may have to be on welfare because of the expense of many goods, caused by government intervention.

Quote:Right now, drugs aren't regulated enough, and as I've explained, drug companies have more than enough profit to through around. For instance, did you notice the multiple Super Bowl penis pill ads?

The penis ads were because penis pills are in demand, nothing more. As for your other points, most of the regulation helps drug companies. It bars companies except for the biggest from continuing to run. Even local competition would still be important competition.

Quote:'ll agree that we seriously need to decrease military spending. First, let's stop building new weapons (shit, I'm an engineer). Second, let's call it a semi-victory and start pulling troops (if Iraq fails with U.S. troops gone, it wasn't a real democracy anyway).

It's not that simple. We need to gradually exit, decreasing more troops, while putting in UN peacekeeping forces in Iraq. We cannot do it in a month, or maybe even a year. It takes time.

As for stop building of new weapons, technology is essential in case we get involved in a defensive war (which just might happen very soon with Russia), we are already somewhat outdated, especially in the Air Force.

Quote:Privatizing government programs doesn't work, plain and simple. It's just an excuse to abandon funding. If they were profitable, there would already be private companies. Nobody wants to insure just the elderly for health insurance (Medicare). Nobody wants to give them handouts (social security). That's why the government has to do it.

You're right, privatization doesn't work, but it sounds nicer than cutting programs, which is the real ends to the problem.

As for such programs of Medicare and Medicaid, once the government stops the monopoly on such programs, the private industry will still be able to cover many of the people.

As for Social security, with all the expenses being cut, they could save for retirement privately.
Eazy way how to get most of the problem soved is by cutting back prices for everything.

House prices here nearly tripled where I live in the past year and a half and it's the same types of houses from before
Quote:Well, first of all, many of these jobs are part-time. Second of all, they may have to be on welfare because of the expense of many goods, caused by government intervention.
First of all, Wal-Mart considers 28 hours a week to be full-time (in some areas). Second of all, they won't let everybody who wants to be full-time become full-time, because then they'd have to give them benefits. It's absolutely ridiculous reverse-Robin Hood-Reaganomics to get rid of minimum wage. At the very least, it's morally wrong, and it could cause riots.
Quote:It's not that simple. We need to gradually exit, decreasing more troops, while putting in UN peacekeeping forces in Iraq. We cannot do it in a month, or maybe even a year. It takes time.
Yeah, I know, bit of a joke. It would've nice if we hadn't started the war in the first place, but it's a little late for that. See, now that's the John Kerry view, which was the correct one, and wasn't contradictory. We made a mistake, but now that we've made it, we have to clean it up. Since the executing smoking seniors thing didn't get me flamed, here's an opinion that should. Democracy in Iraq, over 30 million with "freedom", was worth 1000+ American troops, but it wasn't worth 1.5 billion American dollars and a debt that I'm going to be paying for the rest of my life.
Quote:As for such programs of Medicare and Medicaid, once the government stops the monopoly on such programs, the private industry will still be able to cover many of the people.
If you were an insurance company, would you want to cover a senior who could have (or does have) complications and expensive drug prescriptions?
Quote:Eazy way how to get most of the problem soved is by cutting back prices for everything.

House prices here nearly tripled where I live in the past year and a half and it's the same types of houses from before
And this is why Canadians should stay out of arguments between Americans about America.
I know that you saw me.
Quote:First of all, Wal-Mart considers 28 hours a week to be full-time (in some areas). Second of all, they won't let everybody who wants to be full-time become full-time, because then they'd have to give them benefits. It's absolutely ridiculous reverse-Robin Hood-Reaganomics to get rid of minimum wage. At the very least, it's morally wrong, and it could cause riots.

Why don't people who work at Wal-Mart get another job besides that? It's 5 hour shifts, more than enough to get another job as well, or Hell, if you need the money that bad, get a new job! A full time job!

Quote:Yeah, I know, bit of a joke. It would've nice if we hadn't started the war in the first place, but it's a little late for that. See, now that's the John Kerry view, which was the correct one, and wasn't contradictory. We made a mistake, but now that we've made it, we have to clean it up. Since the executing smoking seniors thing didn't get me flamed, here's an opinion that should. Democracy in Iraq, over 30 million with "freedom", was worth 1000+ American troops, but it wasn't worth 1.5 billion American dollars and a debt that I'm going to be paying for the rest of my life.

We spent more than that on Social Security in one month.

Quote:If you were an insurance company, would you want to cover a senior who could have (or does have) complications and expensive drug prescriptions?

Maybe if you charged him higher prices?

Quote:Eazy way how to get most of the problem soved is by cutting back prices for everything.

Well, first of all, it could be for two reasons. One, interest rates have gone up in an attempt to stop inflation, causing house prices to rise. A second reason maybe because of a decrease in houses, an increase in demand, or both. In case of the first one, prices would go down if the government were to lower interest rates, and as for the second one, fixing prices would lead to shortages.
Quote:We spent more than that on Social Security in one month.
All the more reason to start executing elderly smokers.
Quote:Why don't people who work at Wal-Mart get another job besides that? It's 5 hour shifts, more than enough to get another job as well, or Hell, if you need the money that bad, get a new job! A full time job!
A lot of them do work two jobs. I know because I worked with people like that. There are several problems with doing that:
1. Scheduling conflicts
2. Children (often with single parents and no childcare)
3. Fatigue
4. It's still not enough money to live comfortably
5. Transportation (must have personal and gas money)
6. There aren't enough jobs for everybody to have two
7. The ones who want more from life have to go to school at the same time
I know that you saw me.
Quote:A lot of them do work two jobs. I know because I worked with people like that. There are several problems with doing that:
1. Scheduling conflicts
2. Children (often with single parents and no childcare)
3. Fatigue
4. It's still not enough money to live comfortably
5. Transportation (must have personal and gas money)
6. There aren't enough jobs for everybody to have two
7. The ones who want more from life have to go to school at the same time

For there not being enough work, cutting down on regulations will definitely make it easier for companies to expand.

As for such things as children and school, it's thier own choices which hold them back.
Quote:For there not being enough work, cutting down on regulations will definitely make it easier for companies to expand.
Right...into Mexico, Central America, and across the Pacific. By "deregulation", I'm beginning to think that you have an agenda to pollute, so where's Captain Planet when we need him?
Quote:As for such things as children and school, it's thier own choices which hold them back.
Yeah, they chose to have their husbands run away when they got pregnant, and they chose to not be able to afford college.
I know that you saw me.