Join our server on Discord

How to Save America
Because the private sector can't provide?
Because those things are essential rights, not some trinket to haggle for in a box-store or a "service" that requires curiously "educated" men, such as those with plumbing degrees, to perform it for a high price.
An employer must pay a living wage in order to keep headcount, any labour requires some skill. Not to mention the fact that very few grocers would miss the chance to sell to a wider selection of people.
Why are you saying that out of thin air?

I think from your retort I can declare that I have won the argument.
I'm not. It makes perfect economic sense. Your childish arguement that no one owuld provide food and water to the masses, even though it's an awesome business oppritunity which plays itself out constantly in the real world, makes no sense. Also, it is even accepted among hardcore marxists that employers pay living wages.
First of all, since one of my good friends is a Marxist, I can assure you they don't believe the capitalists will EVER do anything good, even when they do.

No, employers don't pay living wages. They prefer (and oftentimes do in the case of relatively unskilled labor, which seems to be the only kind around nowadays, hence the unskilled trying to make themselves look more skilled with things like plumbing degrees.) to pay a wage that you can live on if you devote all your time to work, and none to actually living.

And where did you get an argument coming from me that the private sector never provides food and water to anyone?
Quote:No, employers don't pay living wages. They prefer (and oftentimes do in the case of relatively unskilled labor, which seems to be the only kind around nowadays, hence the unskilled trying to make themselves look more skilled with things like plumbing degrees.) to pay a wage that you can live on if you devote all your time to work, and none to actually living.

I guess working 10 hours a day is evil, right?

And, what will you do? Instill a minimum wage, which leads to increased poverty and inflation?

Quote:And where did you get an argument coming from me that the private sector never provides food and water to anyone?

If it can be provided, why nationalize it? Besides, the burden will still be on them, except by taxes. At least with pirvatized food you're stimulating the economy.
You find no distinction between not-for-profit and government don't you? Taxes will be minimised by using them as supplements where non-profit prices need to be lowered to supply the goods.

And no, minimum wages don't lead to increased poverty and inflation. Just look at real life.

And yes, 10 hours a day is too much and should be considered overtime.
Ok, fine. Let's look at real life.

[Image: urdep.png]

Notice in 1938, the same year that many of the laws, including minimum wage was being put into place, unemployment skyrocketed, when the market was already heading for a self-correction.

And inflation, simply put, is obvious. There's no way around it. When you increase the flow of currency by setting a minimum wage, the currency will decrease in worth and prices will rise to compensate. Now, of course, you could heighten interest rates for businesses, but this would increase unemployment.

And plenty of people I know work 10 hours. One worked 10 hours to save up for college, so he didn't have to live off the stae. He made wise investments too, and when he cashed in his earnings the state charged him for it, 20% I believe, even though he never once touched his money. It went to the market to his tuition. Then he even had to take out a loan.
Correlation does not equal causation. Enough said on that.

Look, your whole system of crap doesn't work, even IN a market economy. The simple truth is that markets are not even things of their own. People in them tend towards greed and tend towards taking advantage of one another. That must end, we must have a system that encourages cooperation and giving for the sake of the greater good.

That system is one in which everyone is supplied with their basic needs by nonprofit organizations, and are free to manufacture extra goods as they like as long as the people who make the goods own the goods they make and the means of making them.