Join our server on Discord

GREAT NEW IDEA!!
MATTHEWDMETCALF Wrote:The only problem with that is that the prices of all our things will raise, probably up to 30% and I don't think the American people would like to see that. So they're going to have to decide if it's more important to have jobs than if it's more important to have cheap things.

I'd like to pose a question here: Will the prices of things go down if we move the manufacturing to places that are cheaper? History says that no, they will not. The company will just make and hoard more money because they pay 90% less to their cheaper workers.

Case in point: Electrolux, a company with a plant employing several hundred people in west Michigan (where I live) has been in the news around here because they're moving their poperations down to Mexico, where instead of paying $15/hour, which they pay to their beginning workers right now, they will pay roughly $1.58/hour to the employess who replace their experienced Greenville workers. The prices of their products wil not decrease, they'll just make more money off of them -- by cutting those jobs out of US citizens' hands they are taking that money out of America and damaging the economy. In return, they will hold up to 90% of what they're paying their current employess while paying the new Mexican workers, thus keeping more money in their pockets and "out" of the economy (money that isn't being spent is dead as far the economy is concerned, because it isn't moving).

Yes, one of the best ways to improve the US economy is to bring factory jobs back to America. But in turn, legalizing certain drugs -- marijuana, cocaine, etc. -- with regulations would also help the economy, because it would create a new field of jobs in those who enforce the laws concerning those drugs, even if that's only expanding on tobacco and alcohol regulations. It would allow people to make a profit and legally grow marijuana, instead of making them. It would also help by allowing advertising of those drugs, advertising to discourage/prevent children/teenagers from using them, and so forth.

I think the biggest thing to do is to find ways to keep American jobs from going overseas or to Mexico just for the sake of being cheaper labor -- Moving from Michigan to a southern state I can understand, Michigan has high costs for running a factory because of heating in the winter months.
Wow. I can tell if you guys were to write a report on all this stuff, you'd get A+'s each =)

Wisemon Wrote:Uh, here's a better idea for raising money. Let's tax the hell out of multimillionaires and billionaires. By the way, Phish sucks. The only decent pot bands are 311 and Weezer, and that's because they don't smoke it all the time. The coke bands are much better, Buckcherry and System Of A Down.
Buckcherry is a cheap rip-off of Aerosmith.

Organous Wrote:That's just like saying slavery should be legal because it helped the economy. The ends don't justify the means.
That's not to say I don't think drugs should be legal, just legal with restrictions. If people want to hurt themselves, that's their business, just as long as they don't do it around other people. That's why I hate smoking, because the secondhand smoke does hurt others around the smokers. I don't like any law that is supposed to protect the lawbreaker from himself, though.
Public smoking is banned in my state =D

Y'know, I know a TON of people who get drugs every day. It's scary because many of them tried to get me to do it but I always backed out and straight up said NO.

Should pot be legalized? I think not. Pot should rot. Reasoning? Because many people can't help but abuse it.
Wow. I can tell if you guys were to write a report on all this stuff, you'd get A+'s each =)

Wisemon Wrote:Uh, here's a better idea for raising money. Let's tax the hell out of multimillionaires and billionaires. By the way, Phish sucks. The only decent pot bands are 311 and Weezer, and that's because they don't smoke it all the time. The coke bands are much better, Buckcherry and System Of A Down.
Buckcherry is a cheap rip-off of Aerosmith.

Organous Wrote:That's just like saying slavery should be legal because it helped the economy. The ends don't justify the means.
That's not to say I don't think drugs should be legal, just legal with restrictions. If people want to hurt themselves, that's their business, just as long as they don't do it around other people. That's why I hate smoking, because the secondhand smoke does hurt others around the smokers. I don't like any law that is supposed to protect the lawbreaker from himself, though.
Public smoking is banned in my state =D

Y'know, I know a TON of people who get drugs every day. It's scary because many of them tried to get me to do it but I always backed out and straight up said NO.

Should pot be legalized? I think not. Pot should rot. Reasoning? Because many people can't help but abuse it.
Quote:Buckcherry is a cheap rip-off of Aerosmith.

Yep, they even look like them, but they have a repeatability factor that Aerosmith doesn't have. You can't play Aerosmith over and over again; it gets annoying fast. Somehow, I find that it's a lot harder to get sick of Buckcherry. Maybe it's because I've heard Aerosmith everywhere all my life.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Alcohal is alot like marijuana. If you abuse it, it's bad. And if you do it too young, it's bad. Marijuana with age restrictions would be like alcohal. It would do alot, provide jobs (growing, and enforcing laws) and also cut back on the missions to places like Columbia where they spend millions of dollars destroying drugs. Also, crime wouldn't be as rampent, since 70% of people in federal prison are non-violent drug offenders. Also, 40% of people in state prisons are drug law offenders as well. It would really vut back on spending. That, and there's no proof of any physical addiction, and can actually help people with disease.
true and disco did suck very much
"Disco, Disco Duck!"
Not anymore. Remember: Disco is now so uncool, that it's cool! Whenever I can't decide what to wear in the morning, I just put on my old bell-bottomed "Saturday Night Fever" outfit, 'cause it's infaillable!

Whenever I walk down the street, people are always shouting "YEAH! ROCK ON!" (Which is odd, considering that it's a disco outfit.)

And on the subject of pot, I'm proud to say I've never done the stuff, despite many, many opportunities to do it without fear of legal consequences.

Mind you, that's mostly because I'm actively afraid of what I'd do if I were high. I'm already a semi-violent drunk.
The major reason I would be against legalizing pot or any other drug is simple; drugs tend to have a chain effect.
Pot usually leads to heavier drugs, after all the high is what people are seeking and eventually pot isn't enough so they seek more dangerous drugs. Don't believe that? I have seen it first hand with 2 of my cousins.
The other major reason the government will never legalize pot is that people are suprisingly uninformed about the actually effects of the drug, as they are with most drugs. I hear all kinds of crap on what Pot really does, and over 90% of it is incorrect to the point of hilarity.

Personally if factories where less focused on how much money they are making (profit margins) and how much good they are doing, we would see much less economic problems. I realise this is nothing more than a Utopiac dream that will never be realised in our world.

Oh as to the 'stagnant' money statement, to a point man; If the money is in a bank or other such institution then that money is still an active part of the economy. Do you really think that a bank keeps the Exact same cash you gave them until you withdraw some of it? No, they just write down what you have in the bank, and the actuall money begins to recirculate.

Atleast we aren't in a slump like the 1920's, I say start bitching at the companies that move out of country and flat out boycott the lot of them. Dont buy things like Nike and Rebock; they make an absolute killing off their shoes (avg cost to make a single pair, including labor and taxes, is a little over 5$ US, then they sell it to you for 80-100 bucks... thats a very hefty profit.)
Well, marijuana does not always do that, and if you use it when you're an adult, you almost never get t the major stuff. That's why I proposed a 21 age limit.