Join our server on Discord

the most basic of questions
I pronounc it the way Grappleomon does
Actually, neither of those really work the same way. They can be similar, but not exactly. In "especially," the closest is "eh," not "a," but it also is said using e as the long e. The same goes for "extra," but without the long e use. That's not important, though. :)
well to some it is
I'm getting confused now, heh heh. :D
Sapphire Kumamon is correct in relaying what I told him, and here's the simple lesson to back it up, on the vowel sounds.

A Japanese "a" is pronounced most like that single "a" in the word "father", sort of the same sound you make when the doctor tells you to go 'Ah'. If you've ever played Final Fantasy X, this makes the 'ya' in 'yaoi' similar o Wakka saying 'Ya', ya?

A Japanese "e" is pronounced most like the single "e" in the word "pet" or "pen", NOT like the "a" in "ate" or "pay". A Japanese "e" only makes the latter sound if it is lengthened, and even then it's still closer to just two "e" sounds. Instead, the combination "ei" makes the sound of "a" in "pay".

A Japanese "i" is pronounced most like the single "i" in "pick" or "pin". It is also, sometimes, pronouced like the "ee" in "beet", usually when lengthened or at the end of a word.

A Japanese "o" is like the FIRST "o" in "robot", or the single "o" in "roll", and is never like the second "o" in "robot" or the single "o" in "got". When lengthened it is like two "o" sounds together.

A Japanese "u" is pronounced most like the "oo" in "boot", never like the "u" in "duck". However, sometimes the "u" is non-voiced, leaving it virtually silent, especially at the end of words using the syllable "su" and loan words. Sometimes "u" is pronounced "wu", this occurs primarily in loan words -- Uddomon is pronounced "Wuddomon", and translates as Woodmon.

Now for some combinations:

In Japanese, "a-i" is pronounced somewhat like the english pronoun "I", so 'Ai' which means 'love' is pronounced like the first word in "I love you." The Japanese "a-e" is similar, but not quite the same; the difference in minimal to the English speaking ear and tongue.

In Japanese, "a-o" is pronounced "a-oh", or like the English interjection "ow". The vowel pair "a-u" is very similar, and commonly used in loan word, such as 'kuraudo' for "cloud". Because of the vowel pairing, this leaves the "ya-o" in "ya-o-i" pronounced like the interjection "yow".

Because a "y" can only preced the vowel sounds "a", "u", and "o" in Japanese, an "i" before and "e" ("i-e") is pronounced like "iyeh", or "ye". 'Ie' means 'house' or 'home.'

The "o-u" is pronouced like a long version of "o", not like the "ou" in the english "You". Sometime "oo" and "ou" are romanized as "oh", as in 'Yu-Gi-Oh" (Yu-gi-ou; literally "Game-king").

A "u" in front of "e", "i", or "o" acts like a "w" - Uo = "Wo" (UooGureimon = War Greymon), Ui = "Wi", (Uitchimon = Witchmon) and Ue = "We".

Through this, 'ya-o-i' is pronounced close to 'yow-ee' or 'yowie', which is close enough to accurate if you ever need to say the word.
makes sences now