Join our server on Discord

All my friends are Indians
Hilary Clinton got into trouble recently for making a joke in which she said that she thought Mahatma Gandhi was her gas station attendant. Obviously, she was playing on the Indian working at the convenience store stereotype (Apu). I'm a little torn on this one. On one hand, it was kind of offensive. On the other hand, it was clearly meant as a joke. I like it when you can tell when people aren't being serious.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Somehow I can imagine Bill begind her air-humping throughout the whole thing.

"He's Jimmy Carter with a fox attitude!"
Well, unfortunetly, there is no universal standard by which everyone can tell whether or not someone is just trying to be funny. No matter how broad an appeal you think you might have, there is always a group of people, small or otherwise, who won't see it that way.

Hell, even if you used a heavy sarcastic tone, it wouldn't be foolproof. There are languages out there where saying the same word with a different tone gives the word an entirely different meaning. Sarcasm doesn't exist in some societies.

I personally wish people would lighten up some. Hell, I'm Canadian AND half-French, so I see a lot of ribbing coming my cultures' way, but I don't blow my ass for every little joke I hear. (Hey, some of what I hear happens to be funny) It's like that saying goes:

"People who take everything too seriously deserve to."

...or something.
As my father had put it, "A lame joke from a lame person." Not much else to comment on it.
The Infamous Boss Reo Wrote:As my father had put it, "A lame joke from a lame person." Not much else to comment on it.

Got that right Wisemon!

SaberGatomon said it, and I'll say it again! Twisted
Quote:As my father had put it, "A lame joke from a lame person." Not much else to comment on it.

Got that right Wisemon!

I didn't say that; Boss Reo did, and I love his sig. That Blue Oyster Cult sketch was awesome. Anyway, I don't quote my parents. I only quote alternative rock lyrics. For instance, this subject is a line from Soundgarden's "Spoonman".
I know that you saw me.
[quote="Wisemon"]
Quote:I didn't say that; Boss Reo did, and I love his sig. That Blue Oyster Cult sketch was awesome. Anyway, I don't quote my parents. I only quote alternative rock lyrics. For instance, this subject is a line from Soundgarden's "Spoonman".

Thank you. :3
See, I like Hilary Clinton and don't think she deserves all the bashing that she gets. You just know that nobody is going to forget she said this, and they're doing to pull it out on her whenever she decides to run for President (2008? 2012?).

But it was a stupid thing to say. Maybe it was just a joke, but when you have a microphone in front of you there's really no excuse for letting something that dumb slip out.
Actually, that's not true at all. When Bush was still campaigning, he was talking with Cheny about one of the press members being an asshole while he was still on the podium and forgot to turn the microphone off. Yet here he is now, leader of the free world and creator of wars with Iraq and other countries.
Quote:Actually, that's not true at all. When Bush was still campaigning, he was talking with Cheny about one of the press members being an asshole while he was still on the podium and forgot to turn the microphone off. Yet here he is now, leader of the free world and creator of wars with Iraq and other countries.

The problem is that Bush says and does so many stupid things that they all get scrambled together, and then nobody can remember an individual example. It's a clever campaign strategy.
I know that you saw me.