Join our server on Discord

The front cover to "A Mother's Love" colored.
After about a two month siesta on colorization, I have finally finished the front cover of Prophet's manga. I believe that the choice in background came out right, that is, I tried to find a picture of a Japanese bedroom instead of one that was western.

The picture itself is flat, of cours, until someone tells me where to place the shade, but other than that, the entire thing is looking good.

http://www.geocities.com/angeteen/A_Mothers_Love.jpg
Ange, you don't mind if I put in some constructive criticism, seeing as I'm an artist, myself, do you?

Personally, this coloring is OK for a first try, if I must say. I believe, however, that there are a few things that I see that need some improvment.

First off, is character coloring. TK is basically fine, but I am more concerned about Nancy's coloring. I see those nipples, and... to me, they look like somebody BIT into them. I've seen nipples before, and none have ever been that shade. I suggest making them a tad lighter, or perhaps use the "color" option in a paintbrush/airbrush tool in Photoshop to make them a more suitable color (of course, I recommend using the Magic Wand tool so nothing else becomes said altered color).

Then there's her hair. Lats time I remember... Nancy wasn't a redhead. Her hair is dirty blonde (a dark enough blonde color to the point where it is ALMOST a VERY light brown). I suggest the same, or similar treatment on her hair as I suggested with the nipples (i.e. make it lighter... actually, this one should be more "muted" than "lighter", or use the "color" option on your paintbrush/airbrush tool to make it a more accurate color).

Secondly, is the choice of background. I personally want to know how you came to the conclusion on using a Japanese bedroom (even though the Takaishi's live in an apartment... but that's not important). Honestly, I don't mind that it is dark, becuase it help to contrast with the britness of TK and Nancy. BUT, you forgot to work on the words, title, and Hirogana used. Basically all of it gets lost in that dark background. My suggestion would be one of two things:

#1. Use a particular color to make the title, words, and Hirogana stand out more. Or,

#2. if you want to be REAL fancy about it, I recommend making an "aura" of some sort around ALL the words (I KNOW there's a way to do it in Photoshop, but I do not remember). It'll not only make it stand out, but it'll give the cover a little more "zing" to it (becuase, honestly, I feel it's a just a little bland).

But as I'd said before, this is OK for a first try.

I hope that this helps you somehow, Angeteen. If you want to ask me something, PM me, or PM me to ask for my E-mail address.
*sighs and rubs his temples*

I know that her hair didn't come out right. I tried, but unfortunatly, I can't seem to get it the right color, so what I did was use a sample image and copied the color that I deemed best for it. Also, as for her nipples, I've tried different color variations, and this one happened to appear to be the best. The background, I decided that since they were in Japan, then a Japanese bedroom would be best (yes, I am aware that there are western beds over there, but thtat is beside the point). The writting I'll go over and make white.

Also, I'm using "Adobe Photoshop Deluxe 2.0" to do about 95% of this, and unfortunatly for me, I'm not sure as to how you would lighten the colors. Got any information on how to do that?
Here, I worked on what you suggested, and despite my better judgment, I think it came out well. Enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/angeteen/AML.jpg
All you did was change the color of the text?

If so... it now does stands out MUCH MUCH more than it had before (which is good for the text, seeing as it no longer becomes lost in the picture)
Waru_the_Magnificent Wrote:All you did was change the color of the text?

FORE!

*grabs a mallet and hits Waru aside the head with it*

No, that is not all that I did. As you pointed out, the hair color and the color of Nancy's nipples needed to be fixed, so I worked on that as well.

*points them out to you*

See? :)
where can we find this manga?
Angeteen Wrote:
Waru_the_Magnificent Wrote:All you did was change the color of the text?

FORE!

*grabs a mallet and hits Waru aside the head with it*

No, that is not all that I did. As you pointed out, the hair color and the color of Nancy's nipples needed to be fixed, so I worked on that as well.

*points them out to you*

See? :)

*stares at you blankly*

All you did was make her nipples ONE shade lighter, and you STILL made a redhead... only darker!!!!
*turns red and mumbles to himself*

Well...at least it looks better than before. That, and also, no matter what I do, I can't seem to fix things as they should be. -_-;

Also, I think her hair is more of a rusty brown.
Hey I colored this a few days ago and forgot about it. So instead of starting a new post for mine I figured I'd just stick it here. This is the first one that I did my own shading on, and I didn't even try to make a background, but that