Join our server on Discord

Name changes for the dubs
Does anyone else feel slightly offended that they do this at all? It's almost like they're telling us that there's no way in hell we could pronounce the names correctly. I can understand (to a point) changing certain things so that the more fanatical sides of our cultures don't go on a huge pointless bitch-fit and annoy-ruin things for the rest of us (i.e. Goddramon to Goldramon) but just simple names?
Digimon was meant for kids when it came out in the dub. Personally, I don't think I would understand Daisuke or Iori as real names back when I was 8. It would just be too confusing for our little minds... but that's only because we demand to Americanize and censor things so our children wouldn't become corrupted!

Idea Oh, that reminds me, I have to do that "politically correct" essay...
I don't think age has anything to do with it. How are we supposed to become a world comunity if people from different countries change someone else's art (yes I said art!) to fit their tastes? And I wasn't refering to censorship in that way, as if changing Nanimon's beer to orange soda was fooling anyone that was old enough to know what drunk cartoon characters looked/acted like.
I agree that age isn't the case. Some proof of that is my own name. It's not one I would consider normal by any means, but tell people once and they know it.

Instead, I think it has to deal with the stupid parents and old people. No offense, but every since WWII a lot of those old people have decided not to trust Japan. Can you imagine how crazy they'd act if they found out children of today liked a show from there?

In fact, in Lupin the III, Lupin dresses up like a character very similar to Hitler in one episode. But since it might freak out some old people, cartoon network cut the episode from the line up.

As for the parents, well I don't think it takes a genius to explain this. Parents today are so tight on things they are even thinking about taking all the candy in stores and moving it from the cash registers so their kids don't ask for it. You know how ticked off they'd act if they found out beer, people dying, and that kind of stuff was in a show for children? Look at Pocket Monsters! Pokemon has less bad stuff you could say than Digimon, and parents claimed it to be evil.

The only way to really escape this from happening to Digimon was,
1. Changing the names
2. Getting rid of any products bad for you
3. Adding childish jokes in place of serious dialoug
4. And last but not least, covering up silly things like bath scenes.

Sure it sounds lame, but that's because it is. *Sighs* If only they would make subtitles...
I agree, but it's not ALL parents who are up tight, there are just those that say to themselves, oh I don't like this, and they take care of it within their own family, but then the people that need to ruin it for everyone and wreck everyone's fun by taking on the companies that put things out.
Good point about the WWII people, I & C. Trust is hard to mend when you break it so harshly.

I wish that they would let the parents take care of it, but the companies worry that people would think that "drinking beer is okay" from Nanimon. I think it was in my English class that I heard "children's behavior and actions come from the environment they grew up in." So, they use that basis for taking out and altering scenes.

As for the world community thing, we're intolerant of things we don't approve of, like the bath scene Ichigo and Chocolate referred to. "My children shouldn't be seeing that!" the parents scream, and the company quickly removes it. Of course, there's those who just don't care.

Maybe I'm just reacting this way 'cause I read Fahrenheit 451 not too long ago. It keys in on the concepts of of censorship and intolerance.
There's also a huge double standard here too. I've seen an episode of Dexter's Labratory where they show him bare-assed and dancing in the shower but when it's an anime toward the same age group someone always decideds it's offensive and changes it.
Maybe it's because Dexter's Lab is obviously just for laughs, while there is a certain seriousness in Digimon. That goes for the drawing style, too: While Dexter's Lab is very cartoonish and childish, anime almost always looks very realistic. If you don't believe me, just compare the background drawings from the two shows.
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but why did they change Creepymon's name to Daemon?
Daemon is his original name. He's only called Creepymon on the toys, for reasons that defy logic.

I'm wondering why they cut some things and left in other things. For instance, Kazu and Kenta's accidental kiss was cut, but them singing bare-ass naked together in the shower was left in...