Join our server on Discord

gay student expelled from x-tian school
Just read this article and thought readers of this section might enjoy, or at least understand what it's getting at. This is in no ways another Christian-bashing post, but just another report from the culture war that seems to be brewing in the US.

Link to article

Gay student's expulsion not compassionate
By Frank Cerabino, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 14, 2003

I feel sorry for Rich Grimm.

Grimm runs the Jupiter Christian School, a frontline outpost in what he calls "the current culture war."

It's not easy being in the trenches, and by that I mean, marshaling your holy army to expel an unrepentant sinner within the learned gates.

"The battle is not over," Grimm told parents this week, in an address that was published online so the whole world might glimpse the courage of this bloodied, but unbowed, gladiator. "The struggle will continue for some time. But for as long as it takes, please know that we will stand up for our beliefs with courage, conviction and Christ-like compassion."

Grimm's courageous and compassionate act was to expel Jeffrey Woodard, 18, for having the nerve both to admit to other students that he is gay and to refuse to undergo some sort of prayerful straightening procedure to rid him of his sinful "lifestyle."

I firmly support a religious school's right to display courage and compassion in this manner. In a world where religious extremism has produced such a bounty of unnecessary suffering and grief, it's instructive to get a dose of it in our own back yards.

"So when kids make bad choices, or when they engage in conduct that does not meet the expectations and standards of the school, or when, in this case, they advocate a lifestyle that is not condoned by the school, what do we do?" Grimm said.

Drive the gay kid away.

For making the bad choice to be born gay. For engaging in the conduct of honesty. And for not feeling a shame that leads to self-enforced silence.

Woodard could have saved himself. He could have pretended to be straight. Or he could have acknowledged being gay, then quickly added that it made him depressed, or, better yet, suicidal. That would have been more comforting for the school.

If only the boy had talked about hating himself to Grimm, then the compassionate crusader might have recruited him into the heterosexual lifestyle, thereby altering his "sexual preference" -- like some corporeal equivalent of switching from AT&T to Sprint.

But no. The boy wanted to be both openly religious and gay.

"In the end, we never denied Jeffrey his right to proclaim his homosexuality, or his right to proclaim that he saw no problem with homosexuality and Christianity," Grimm explained. "In the end, we simply denied Jeffrey Woodard access to make those claims on our campus."

Free speech is a cancer, particularly at a religious school trying to invoke another aspect of that same constitutional amendment by discriminating according to its own beliefs.

This is why I feel sorry for Grimm.

He's in a tough position. He has had to cast himself as a heroic figure in the vortex of a great fight while defending what was essentially a mean bit of business on a lone teenager.

The school's purification act resulted in a lawsuit that will become expensive, and in the end, other students' parents will have to pay to keep the good fight going.

"Now is the time to begin making donations," Grimm told parents. "Please join us in this fight. Our children's futures depend on it."

The hero is leading his troops, charging into the 19th century, and confident that the creator of the universe is right there at his side.

"This action and what we are facing does not surprise God, even if it does sadden and frustrate us," he said.

Take courage, Mr. Grimm. And if you need any lessons on it, talk to the kid you just expelled.

frank_cerabino@pbpost.com
I really really hate to say this, especially considering it was so hard to figure out you were being sarcastic, but there are a lot of people who actually agree full-heartedly with that article.
It's a sad, idiotic, close-minded world we live in.
Organous Wrote:I really really hate to say this, especially considering it was so hard to figure out you were being sarcastic, but there are a lot of people who actually agree full-heartedly with that article.

I wasn't being sarcastic -- I didn't write the article, I was just posting it. Obviously, the writer of the article is not siding with the school principle. The author does not agree with that man's actions and beliefs, and neither do I, and neither would most of you, I think.

I just posted this 'cuz I thought it would be of interest. I'm not being even slightly sarcastic.
The hero is leading his troops, charging into the 19th century, and confident that the creator of the universe is right there at his side.

Wtf?
The writer's being sarcastic, Sky.
This has been a dififcult time to be a christian without giving in to the mainstream christian beliefs... Do I agree that you can't be a true christian and be homosexual? Well, biblically the answer is clear, but that doesn't mean you have to be cruel or kick gay students out of christian schools.

Hell, I know some girls from Christian schools who are prostitutes, and that's the same situation as far as being biblically forbidden. but on that same not, so are guys who have long hair and females with short hair, because back then, those were signs of prostitutes. I don't see christian schools kicking out girls with short haircuts or guys who grow their hair long, though.

The biggest thing is that these kinds of acts come from two types of people: Closet Extremists (the blatant extremists launch public protests) and Christians who see a reflection of themself in those kids, so I'm wondering which one Mm. Grimm is... though not too much. It reminds me of a story about a gay student who was beaten to death, and at his funeral the christian community of the area had a protest, and some of the signs had horrible slurs, such as the infamous "GOD HATES FAGS".

I hate seeing these kinds of things, but they remind me that the devil can take on the appearance of God, he can even quote scriptures when it suits him, and it shows how far modern christians still have to go before they can emulate Christ properly, especially his compassion. God does not hate homosexuals, he only hates their behavior. My philosophy is to not rub sin in peoplesfaces, because I've sinned as badly as any of them. Further, the christian's calling, the Great Commandment, is to love the NEIGHBOR, not just your fellow christians.

My philosophy: Love the sinner, hate the sin, never force your beliefs on other men.
Actually, the Bible is not clear about homosexuality. Look more closely at it sometime. For one thing, the language used in it is more modern-day than the rest of it (suggesting it was yet another thing added later), and for another, it only refers to sodomy by straight men, as in torture.
Anyway, though, your main message is right.
Organous Wrote:Actually, the Bible is not clear about homosexuality. Look more closely at it sometime. For one thing, the language used in it is more modern-day than the rest of it (suggesting it was yet another thing added later), and for another, it only refers to sodomy by straight men, as in torture.
Anyway, though, your main message is right.

I'd be interested to learn more about this. Do you know of any links, or books or articles that might be helpful?

I'm not calling you out or challening you, I genuinely want to know more about this theory.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/homosexu.htm probably can answer that