Join our server on Discord

A FanFiction Idea
I had an idea back before everything hit, and I think that if a number of us (five or so) got together as a team, we could make a series that could outshine our individual talents. The problem is, most larger collaborative fanfiction efforts I've seen either break down or have horrible quality, and sometimes both. So I would be looking at a fairly exclusive group for the core, of "high quality" authors, reaped from results of the *proper* contests.

My idea is to essentially create a full season of Digimon in pure fanfiction, possibly with some help from willing artists to draw the Characters and Digimon. In the planning stage, we could all come to agree on a plot, characters, Digimon, and plot twists that might even be involved. I think that if we spent a whole month or two doing that and developing plots for a few Chapters, we could easily pull off a good series over a year or so.

But, as I mentioned above, most such efforts either die out (lack of interest within the group), or have horrible quality. Since I've already addressed the "quality" point (exclusive group of high-scorers in the Contests), we still need the "commitment" portion, by having each author involved agree to be committed to their role in the project for at least "X" chapters, being however many we decide is a reasonable "Season" length.

Before I worry about inviting anyone to the group, I will gladly commit myself to such a project for a whole year, or roughly 50 chapters between the whole team, if this gets moving. I am wondering who else would be willing, or crazy enough, to commit themselves to a project like this, and for how long. If we can get five or six people with committment, quality may slide to become a non-concern (because of author quality), or to not mattering (because we would have a committed team).

Keep in mind: This is just an attempt to test the waters for such a project, I am not saying that I have anything in particular planned.

~ KA; Nate Hunter
That's quite a simple idea, yet it's one of the most ambitious ones I've heard tossed out by authors on boards like this. That would require a tremendous amount of planning, coordination, trust, skill, cooperation, and discipline. It's hard enough to get people to go to those lengths in real life (even when they're all working in the same room, and there's financial compensation involved). Getting it to work in this format would be even harder, but if you've been holding and judging contests, you've probably got a better idea of what everyone's capable of and what you've got to work with than most people.

Yes, you'd have to be selective. You'd have to turn people away. You'd have to find some way of pleasing everyone while staying on track. I don't know how it could be done, but it's an exciting idea. You seem like a smart guy too (judging from reading your posts), so I'm sure you could pull it together if everyone did their part.

I'm interested in this, but I hesitate to fully volunteer (for the moment) because you really have no way of knowing what kind of writer I am and what I'm capable of. If you're curious, you could read some old fanfiction I wrote right here (which would lead you to a long series I wrote and never finished, not a good sign for consideration).

I'd be willing to help out in some way, though I'm not an artist, so that would basically leave me to do nothing but contribute as a writer, if need be. Honestly, I'm interested.

This could be the kind of project that could rejuvinate things around here. Maybe.