Join our server on Discord

Poll: Do you think music today is good?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
42.86%
9 42.86%
No
57.14%
12 57.14%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music these days is just BAD
MATTHEWDMETCALF Wrote:Remember back in the day when music used to be good? Well, now you can barely find anything good to listen to these days. I pity this generation of people who think that their music is the best ever. Rap hasn't been good since the 80s. Now it's about robbing banks, "smakin' my bitches", and life in the "ghetto". (The man's 22 living in a mansion and he lived in the ghetto? Think not) And the only rock that you could find now is wuss rock and punk rock. And the punk rock isn't all that great. Punk was best in he 80s in the time of Slayer and Ozzy Osborne. (But who could compete against "Bark At The Moon"?) Rock alone is just crappy now. A song like "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister would have been considered the god of all rock songs compared to the crap now. Remember the time of AC/DC and Iron Maiden? Well, times have changed for the worst....

Old, but I feel I need to put a musicians 2 cents in.

You can't let the mainstream kill your thoughts of music. The mainstream today is mostly (and I mean that, there are still bands in mainstream that are talented and true) made up of nothing but bands and groups with image and no talent. Big business is really trying to commercialize music and lure it away from being an art form.

So really, you have to look away from the mainstream, turn your ears off from the radio, and take your eyes off that damn MTV (MTV2 is still decent). Musicians with talent are out there, but you have to find them. Bands that are made up of true artists still exist, but you have to find them. People that truly live for and love music are out there, but you have to find them.

I listen to everything and I'll give any group or band a chance. Though I mostly am a metal head, I am still a musician.
Today there are two kinds of music, good and bad, being produced by two kinds of artists, talented and untalented. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with the untalented people who produce bad music because we have so many people who somehow think it's good music all because of their image and supposedly everybody wants to embody that image. Rap has in all honesty completely degraded. Rap used to be about making a point, now it's all about black, horny men smackin' their bitches up all day long, while choking and falling over due to the weight of their own blasted jewelry. I feel that rock is slowly falling but remains strong enough. If you look at it, urban stuff (rap, r&b, that section of stuff) is sorta the supposed evolution of pop. Remember the pop years where N'Sync, the Back Street Boys and all those manufactured acts ruled the airwaves? It was just some pretty faces doing some choreographed dancing and singing in the same voice all the time! Now it's black guys doing random dance moves while being surrounded by half-naked women signing poorly, not even signing! Just talking fast while rhyming about sex, money and themselves! There is luckily some rap still good out there: Black Eyed Peas'-Where Has The Love Gone? Finally something good! Will Smith cause he's entertaining despite being sometimes like all others, Eminem ain't black and he's getting annoying but sometimes he makes a point which is alright. Honestly, I think the current listening habits of the population is basically the same, just the music has gone on to its next evolutionary stage. Except pop was about 'Puppy Love' and break ups, rap is about money and sex and the size of the rapper's cock. Rock has problems (Avril Lavigne to name a problem) Some rock is alright now a days but there is a lot of terrible things. All you gotta do is get some of the old stuff, shove it in your CD player, and listen. Then come out when music listening habits have moved on and see if you like it. And to say something else, rock( possibly all kinds), classical music is always good and will always be, I 'd say everything, except pop(boy bands and the like) and rap (except a few songs). Another thing, Sean Paul sucks, in all honesty he has no talent and is probably high 99% of the time. Same goes for fifty cents. I voted NO on this pole.
If I've learned anything it's this: People are COMPLETE IDIOTS!

I'll give that stuff a try

Hits: Hard rock, mellow rock, 80s hip-hip/rap, jazz, blues, opera (that's what I get for watching too many mafioso movies)

Misses: Mainstream from 1993 on out
fatpat60 Wrote:Today there are two kinds of music, good and bad, being produced by two kinds of artists, talented and untalented. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with the untalented people who produce bad music because we have so many people who somehow think it's good music all because of their image and supposedly everybody wants to embody that image. Rap has in all honesty completely degraded. Rap used to be about making a point, now it's all about black, horny men smackin' their bitches up all day long, while choking and falling over due to the weight of their own blasted jewelry. I feel that rock is slowly falling but remains strong enough. If you look at it, urban stuff (rap, r&b, that section of stuff) is sorta the supposed evolution of pop. Remember the pop years where N'Sync, the Back Street Boys and all those manufactured acts ruled the airwaves? It was just some pretty faces doing some choreographed dancing and singing in the same voice all the time! Now it's black guys doing random dance moves while being surrounded by half-naked women signing poorly, not even signing! Just talking fast while rhyming about sex, money and themselves! There is luckily some rap still good out there: Black Eyed Peas'-Where Has The Love Gone? Finally something good! Will Smith cause he's entertaining despite being sometimes like all others, Eminem ain't black and he's getting annoying but sometimes he makes a point which is alright. Honestly, I think the current listening habits of the population is basically the same, just the music has gone on to its next evolutionary stage. Except pop was about 'Puppy Love' and break ups, rap is about money and sex and the size of the rapper's cock. Rock has problems (Avril Lavigne to name a problem) Some rock is alright now a days but there is a lot of terrible things. All you gotta do is get some of the old stuff, shove it in your CD player, and listen. Then come out when music listening habits have moved on and see if you like it. And to say something else, rock( possibly all kinds), classical music is always good and will always be, I 'd say everything, except pop(boy bands and the like) and rap (except a few songs). Another thing, Sean Paul sucks, in all honesty he has no talent and is probably high 99% of the time. Same goes for fifty cents. I voted NO on this pole.

let just say something on the rap part,if you're listening to people like Jay-z or any of them mainstream people then you're gonna here the same topics over and over in differant songs,however in underground artists like ICP,Twiztid,Esham or Necro *no,not the necro from here* these guys are what the call "Acid rap",meaning instead of glorifying about being rich and their "bling-bling" they talk about murder,perversion,drugs,paranoia and all of the good shit that this stupid country wants to filter out,so not all rap is bad depending on who you are listening too....
You are right, there is barely any good music now-a-days, if any. I am slightly offended, but at the same time agree with you all, since I am an avid punk-rock listener. All the bands you guys have mentioned, really, the mainstream ones, I either absolutely hate or really don't like. It is not the fact that they are mainstream, it is that they sound nothing like the original punk style (other than Ramones, probably where they got their sound). I mean I love Ramones, Exploited, Anti-Flag, Casualties, Circle Jerks, Misfits, and these are the more known bands among punk-rockers. I don't understand the lyrics, I simply like the sound and the energy most of the good songs have. Probably why I like some of the evil sounding trance music which sounds like it was meant to be played while a couple people are fighting.

Now don't misunderstand, I don't consider myself a punk-rocker, I simply call myself a free-thinker, I usually think outside what people generally enjoy. I despise rap with every fiber of my being, especially the new type of rap. That is not music, that is really poorly written generic poetry with an even worse... whatever you want to call what they are trying to play in the background.

I am not one of those wierd musically uncultured kids either. Sure I may not like some of the oldies like the "good" metallica or AC/DC, but I truely enjoy Nirvana, I love the WHO, Rolling Stones, Louis Armstrong, some Queen, Flogging Molly (An Irish band) and, of course, I am a Jimmy Buffet fan, minus the booze.

The reason why I am slightly offended is because you are all really talking about me, saying that the music I am growing up with is shit, but at the same time I am not really all that offended because I full-heartedly agree with you. I try talking about good old classic rock with a girl next to me in class and, she being part of the whole rap thing, gives me a look like I am crazy and have no taste in music. Damn near slapped her right then and there, but was able to hold myself back and fume for the rest of class.

So, kudos to you all for making this place seem a bit more inviting, thanks.

Blessed Be,
~Arrowhead~
What do you get when you combine the fun or occasionally moody punk of Green Day with the metal politics of Rage Against The Machine? Unfortunately, you get Silverchair. However, when you add a large dash of "Weird Al" Yankovic to that equation, you get The Offspring, and their new album comes out tomorrow. Interesting note: The subject of my first post, my sig test, was a Green Day quote. The subject of my second post, my introduction, was a Rage Against The Machine quote. Soon, they'll have an offspring.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
I bought "The Essential Stabbing Westward" today. I think it came out a month or two ago, but it was hard to find. It makes a cool addition to any CD collection.
I know that you saw me.
I gave the J-Rock a chance, and I like it
First of all, what is J-Rock? Is that a European thing? Secondly, somebody mentioned AFI on the last page. Since they fall under Dexter Holland's "Nitro Records", I decided to give them a chance. Yep, they rock, although you have to hear each song several times before you start to like it. They sound a lot like The Offspring, with the key difference being the mood behind their lyrics. I've decided to nickname them The Gothspring.
I know that you saw me.
I'd like to add onto the slipknot comment I made earlier,ok so they do have 3 good songs,preferably My pleague,Wait and bleed and Snap,though they guys themselves are serious retards in concert.