Join our server on Discord

What do you detest in Fanfiction?
Jodan, I don't see the problem with author-character hookups. Hell, I'm writing a fic where I become Tails' (Sonic the Hedgehog) lover. If you think a character is hot, why not write about your fantasies?
My only pet peeve is when an author kills off a really cool character in their fic, like Bill Grey from Star Fox 64. It not only cheaply dos shock value, but loses 90% of its appeal. C'mon, nobody wants to see Sephiroth or Mario whacked, do they? Okay, maybe Mario... Th little sh*t plumber. Twisted
I will have to agree with Jodan on self-inserts. Sure, you can fantasize about having sex with a made-up character, write fanfics about it and all that, but I don't see why you should post it for everyone to read. We don't even know you, why would we be interested in reading about you getting it on with an anime character?
And I should add that "original characters" and "self-inserts" are completely different things.
I dislike lemons with small font size. (smaller than Times New Roman 12)
I dislike lemons in scriptformat.

Let's see, things I hate...

Mary Sue/Marty Stu (any time, but ESPECIALLY in lemons)
Character bashing of ANY kind (ESP of the "[character 1] loves [character 2] but [character 2] is fucking [character 3], so [character 1] rapes [character 2] and is lynched by the rest of the group"variety)
People claiming that their favourite couple is show canon (not just lemons, at any time)
I normally have no problem with scriptform, but it just doesn't work for lemons.
Inexplicable, unexplained gender changes (this means you, Patamon people.)
Ditto unexplained incest (hypocrite, you cry reading Prophecy {I'm Pistoffveemon, BTW} not so, I reply, pointing out that there sure as hell was a reason for that)
Ditto anything with a completely new cast

I'm sure there's more things I hate, I just can't bother to think of them now.
Here's one I forgot and wish I never had to see again.

5.) A child's adult fict.
Disclaimer:
'This fict for adult only. No child. Contains sex.'

Extent of description in fict:
'Kari n' tk made love and then she was going to have a baby!'

6.) Evil Incarnate
Using example from number 5: 'Davis got jealous and killed the wonderful kari.'

Where little explanation ('Kari luvs TK'), a 'former hero' becomes a psychopath that would give Satan the creeps. And why? Because the evil jerk/bitch is trying to break up the 'perfect' couple/steal MY beloved. I mean, how DARE Jun try to make time with Yamato when that's what _I_ want to do. So, I'll show everyone how evil she is.

7.) I'm more than the author, I'm also Mary Poppins and I've become the lover of my favorite character.

I've seen self-insertions ficts done well, where the author kept themself human. (I went to the Tendo dojo and quickly realized that I don't speak Japanese and I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag-- ouch.)

However, this point is for the 'partically perfect in every way' insertions where everyone loves you and you either have the most perfect life or your past makes Harry Potter's look like paradise. And no matter how much the favored character is shown to not like something. Let's take say, oh, Yamato's aversion to highly extroverted girls for example but miss perfect extrovert on speed, guana and sugar buzz has Yama-chan wrap around her little pinky at 'hello.'
Welll...I don't like script formats...Oh god...Wait...I think I used to write my fics in script format...And now that I look back at them... lol ...AHAHAHA!! I was a jackass!!...Oh man...And usually if I sense something doesn't feel right after the first two paragraphs...You know...That feeling you get...Then it ain't right...Or at least something isn't...

Then the whole "I'm-gonna-put-myself-into-my-fics-so-I-can-write-about-screwing-my-favourite-character" is pathetic...Unless it's really good...But the it'd be too good wouldn't it??

Oh and maybe this kind of applies to me??...But I don't like reading a good story and have the author just quit...It's like when god, or some other powerful force that you wish to believe in, is creating the universe and goes..."Nah, I give up..."...Errr I guess that applies to me because I gave up on FanFiction.Net...God damn lousy site...Bans NC-17 fics...Now no one reads my fics...And...I HATE EM!!...

"Kno pore grammer..."... lol ...Wait that doesn't makes sense...Or does it...But I used to have crap grammar...But people improve...That's that...

Flaming before even reading a fic is for losers who have too much time...Or is it too little??...Oh well...Flamers are bad...Baaad...

Wow...I think that was my largest post yet...
xXJoeCoolXx Wrote:Then the whole "I'm-gonna-put-myself-into-my-fics-so-I-can-write-about-screwing-my-favourite-character" is pathetic...Unless it's really good...But the it'd be too good wouldn't it??

Oh and maybe this kind of applies to me??...But I don't like reading a good story and have the author just quit...It's like when god, or some other powerful force that you wish to believe in, is creating the universe and goes..."Nah, I give up..."...Errr I guess that applies to me because I gave up on FanFiction.Net...God damn lousy site...Bans NC-17 fics...Now no one reads my fics...And...I HATE EM!!...

"Kno pore grammer..."... lol ...Wait that doesn't makes sense...Or does it...But I used to have crap grammar...But people improve...That's that...

Flaming before even reading a fic is for losers who have too much time...Or is it too little??...Oh well...Flamers are bad...Baaad...

That Bullshit ban on fanfiction.net lost a bunch of good lemons,specifically this one GTO/Oh! My Goddess one that I though was really good. :x :x

The part of fanfiction that totally pisses me off is when some dumbshit just gives you a bad rating and doesn't tell ya how to improve on it,just tells ya something like "This shit is gay".