Join our server on Discord

How bad is Fantastic Four? Haha
I actually saw that joke yesterday.
I watched the new Fantastic Four movie and I have to say I didn't find it the "9%" movie that everyone says it is...the first half definitely draws you in. I loved the actors they used and they all did their best with what they had. A big gripe about the movie was lack of action until the last twenty minutes...that, I didn't have a problem with. This is an origin story after all telling how the Fantastic Four came to be...the problem is, this is the THIRD Fantastic Four origin story we've gotten, the second officially released and third overall. You can only do the same "Fantastic Four versus Doctor Doom" story over again. The first movie has always been "accident/get powers/come together/fight Doom" and never really mix it up at all. The individual heroes use their powers but never as a team until the end and that irks a lot of people. I understand that but then people would say there was no build up if they became a team right away. In this movie, they don't even have their Fantastic Four uniforms, just some generic fighting suits. Despite all this, we still have a movie here....the problem with the director is that he didn't want to tell a superhero movie but a science fiction movie. What we got is certainly an interesting take on the genre...in fact, it starts out like a "Goonies" movie with young Reed and Ben experimenting in their garage and take out several city blocks worth of power to open a portal to another dimension. Slowly, the other characters are introduced and we're given their backstories (a little at a time anyway but not complete :P).

Once they're together and working to make the portal machine, things begin to get interesting and I like this part. There seems to be real chemistry between the actors and you can sense they're a group trying to accomplish the impossible. Now, when they go to the other dimension things get a little wonky. The reason for going to the other dimension or "Zero World" as it's called in this movie is because of dashed hopes and dreams. After that, this turns into a horror movie for near up to the last twenty minutes and then it becomes a superhero flick. It's three movies in one! So, hey, more for your money right? No...it just doesn't mesh well and that's the problem. The movie feels like it was cut off...like there's big parts missing here and there. I went to a 12:45 pm showing on a Saturday and I was out by 2:30pm. Now, part of that was definitely previews...10-15 minutes worth. So that means a 90 minute movie excluding credits. Something like the Fantastic Fours deserves a solid 2 hours. Team movies need more time because they have more characters to flesh out and a villian like Doctor Doom keeps getting the shaft. The comics have him as god of the universe...here, he's a guy who wants to destroy the world because he thinks the other world is better and this one is corrupt. Doom wants to conquer, not destroy. I willl agree and say they got Doom wrong again...BUT his scene where he walks down the hall killing everyone with his mind was epic. They got his intimidation factor down pat in this movie. His look just sucks though.

Overall, here's the pros and cons with the movie:
Pros:
-Good acting for the most part.
-Good first act.
-Soundtrack was satisfactory.

Cons:
-Story too short, not fleshed out enough.
-Nothing is consistent and the movie doesn't know what it wants to be.
-It qualifies as a movie, just not as a very good one.

I can't say the movie totally sucks but as a Fantastic Four movie, it does fail. To address one lingering issue...Micheal B. Jordan as the Human Torch is fine and it fits for this movie as Franklin Storm is black and Johnny is his natural born son while Sue is adopted. Changes like that are fine as long as it works within the context of the story and stays true to what the idea of the character is all about. Johnny Storm is probably the funnest character in this entire movie. He was a doofus as Chris Evans, and he's still a doofus as Jordan. Heck, there's a black Spider-Man and a white Spider-Man and they're both in the same universe now! Marvel's been going overboard with the whole "ooh we're diverse!" thing lately but honestly, who cares as long as it tells a good story. Thor doesn't make sense though....I'm not against female Thor but she can't call herself Thor because Thor is not a girl's name.:P It just isn't!
[Image: Ikuto_Peckmon4_Ever.jpg]
"I'll keep you safe...forever."
Peckuto
I don't really mind the Diversity thing. But the thing I think is weirdest is obviously the Thing not wearing pants. I got over the Human Torch thing a while ago.
http://www.looper.com/2256/things-fantastic-four-make-no-sense/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_645749

9 Stupid Things in 'Fantastic Four' That Make No Sense.

blah...blah...and Doom is quickly defeated, because he also forgot that he can blow up people’s heads with his mind.

I liked this statement, so funny :D
[Image: Renamon2.jpg]
Merged the topics. Carry on.