Join our server on Discord

Lycanthrope
I didn’t mean for everything to blow up on me like that. It was just a stupid rumor.
One stupid rumor about him dating a vampire, and you get a seriously ticked off Lupine shifter. They tend to take everything too seriously.
One thing you have to understand was that it wasn’t the best time to spread a rumor like that. It was like the Hatfield–McCoy feud. Yes, it was like that. Only with certain shifter species.
Vampires are beautiful. So dating one would be an incredible feat. Until the vampire expires that is. Their skin will get all dry and papery. That’s how you know that their time is up. They live for years, giving the impression to humans that they are one of them. But after a few centuries, they forget about living and turn bad. That’s when it’s time to put them down.

The dark clouds loomed overhead as I shouldered my bag containing my helmet. The trees that lined the parking lot shook lightly in the breeze.
I stepped out the front doors of my school and out to the sidewalk. I was out of class early, since I finished the assignment before everyone else, the teacher let me go for the weekend. It was only twenty minutes till the bell rung to release everyone, so what would it hurt?
Turns out, me.
I strolled through the parking lot to the far side nearest the street, where I’d parked my bike.
When I say bike, I mean a beautiful, forest green, custom made, Yamaha FZ1. I practically drooled each time I looked at it. The rims and body glinting in the light. The beautiful curves that went from front to back. It would immediately catch your eye if you spotted it.
I ran my hand over the paint job affectionately and let out a sigh. My fingers quickly pulled the draw string on my bag apart and picked up my matching helmet from inside. I was about to haul it over my head when I got the feeling someone was approaching me. In fact, they’d gotten right up next to me without me noticing.
I turned to face the opposing party and was amply rewarded. A clenched fist buried itself in my diaphragm and drove the air out of my lungs. I let out a surprised ‘oof!’ and another fist connected with my chin and knocked me to the ground. Then I was lifted me off my feet. The front of my shirt stretched as my assailant bunched it into his fist. I noted dully that he held me at least two feet up.
“Here we go.” I said to myself.
“You think it’s funny? To spread rumors, little fox?” a loud, vicious voice shouted in my ear. His breath smelled strongly of onions. Lucas. I knew this was gonna come around and bite me in the a- tail. My fluffy, blond tail. I endured a second of being shaken like a rag doll as he added emphasis to his words.
“Well, maybe you shouldn’t have messed with me,” I retorted under my breath My jaw smarted from the hit. I rotated it experimentally. A sharp pain in front of my ear spiked down the side of my skull. Probably a pulled tendon or something.
Lucas was this really big, nasty bully. So it wasn’t one of the greatest ideas for me to start a rumor that he was dating a vampire. He’d pick on everyone smaller than him, which was everyone, especially anyone part of the local Redtail Pack. That’s the vulpine shapeshifters, like me. I was extremely new. The change had just barely taken a hold of me weeks ago.
Lucas stood about seven and a half feet, sporting shoulder-length, greasy brown hair that, in my opinion, should act as an anti-chick magnet. But then again, I guess he’s a stud with the Lupine girls.
Ew.
His expression always was an angry one, with his beady little brown eyes glaring out at you under some massive bushy eyebrows. He had a broad nose and thin, pale lips. His stump of a neck went perfectly with his colossal figure, beefy arms furry as heck, sprouting from a broad chest. Like a forest of hair leading up his sleeves and down his collar. His clothes were always dark, torn and dirty. His skin was surprisingly pale.
His personality fit him perfectly. Impolite, noisy, pushy, all over a big bully. Being a senior in high school that year only boosted his oversized monarch manner. And he had the brawn to back it up sadly. I’d have loved to teach him a lesson in manners. But fox shifters tend to be quite petite. Rarely one of us touched over six feet or weighed above two hundred pounds.
“You foxes are all the same, Sora. You all think you’re so frickin’ smart and clever,” he said through clenched teeth.
I was about to reply, telling him that ‘smart’ and ‘clever’ kind of meant the same thing, but I thought better of it and kept my mouth shut.
“You know how many of my friends now laugh at me? How many are pointing fingers and making fun of me?”
I couldn’t help but pipe up there.
“You have friends?” I inquired cheekily, almost laughing out loud at the prospect. Lucas roared with rage and spun me around, slamming my back against the seat of the bike and forcing my spine back at a painful angle. I was immediately fearful for my bike.
“Just kidding,” I coughed out. He picked me up again and slugged my abused stomach. Again.
He then proceeded to beat the snot out of me. I had to just sit there and take it. My fox snarled in my head, wanting to take control and protect me. But I held him in check, just barely. A few times I felt my fingers snap and pop, my sharp black claws slipping out of the tips, but I focused on stopping the change.
There were several rules in all shifter communities. One was no shifting in public. Which happened to be the one I was struggling with. Another said that if we were going to fight, save it for a forest meet.
Almost no one enforced the rules, plus the lupine authorities tended overlook the issue if it had to do with me.
Lucas didn’t care about rules though. If you so much as stepped on his tail, he’d kick your butt for the next week, or until he felt you’d learned your lesson. Since the shifter heals by the following day, he could keep this up indefinitely. I make a big show of going out of my way to do stuff that gets him fired up. I often avoid beatings from him however. It’s always a big laugh for me.
In the distance, I heard the bell ring and the beating stopped. Lucas picked up his bag from the lot and swung it over his shoulder, casually walking away as if it hadn’t happened. I was left slumped against my bike, clutching my middle silently.
Thankfully, Lucas only made body shots on me, leaving only dark bruises and discoloration in easy-to-hide places.
The sound of rapid footsteps approaching came to my ears.
“Sora!”
I raised my head weakly, a drained smile on my face as I recognized the voice.
“Hey Jill.” I croaked. She knelt down beside me, a worried gaze meeting mine.
“You picking on the underlings?” She queried mockingly. I chuckled and let go of my stomach with one arm and used it to attempt propping myself up. Jill grabbed under my arm and helped me to my feet.
Jill was my best friend. Intelligent blue eyes, golden blond hair that fell gracefully around her head like a halo, streaks of red adding a little more spice. Standing about as high as my nose, she would get constant torments from me about her height. I mean, yes, I’m kinda short, but she’s shorter. Each time I’d tease, she’d slug me in the gut as hard as she could. People seemed to like doing that.
“You aren’t planning on driving home after that, are you?” She asked as I grabbed my helmet and tried to slip it on over my head. She must of caught sight of him walking away and assumed the worst. I stopped.
“Well, I’ve got to get ‘er home somehow, right?” I replied, motioning toward my bike.
Jill was silent for a moment, her hands behind her back as she rocked back and forth on her heels. Her head was slumped shyly.
“Well…there is this boy…” She started.
“He got a truck?” I asked. She nodded.
“Well, then let’s go ask, eh?”
Jill half grinned at me, her eyes slightly squinted. “Thanks…”
So she led me through the parking lot, to the opposite end. I saw a few students wandering around to their cars and tried to straighten up.
She stopped next to a maroon Silverado. The bed was definitely long enough to hold my bike. Jill walked around to the other side and disappeared for a moment. I heard an exchange of words. Then she reappeared, with a familiar looking boy trailing her. Chin length hair, deep hazel eyes, sharp nose…
It was the kid from the hall. The one that ran into Jill, yet didn’t get beat up. She tends to hit people who get in her way. She now has a very large reputation in the halls.
“Sora, this is Terran,” Jill said while casually slipping her arm around his waist. I noted the small gesture.
Terran’s hand came up, extended in front of him. I stared at it for a moment, then remembered what to do. I hadn’t shook hands with someone in a long time. I usually just hit ‘em in the shoulder or something to say hello.
“So…Jillian tells me you need a ride home,” he said. I noticed he used Jill’s full name. Strange. I took it as a sign of respect.
His voice was a deep velvet baritone, easily recognizable. I nodded and pointed back in the direction of my bike.
“Out of gas,” I lied. Terran cocked his head to the side.
“Can’t I just give you gas then?”
I thought quickly. “Nah, it only takes a certain type of gas mixed with some special chemicals.” Which was partially true.
He nodded knowingly. “Ah, gotcha. Guess I can give you a lift then.”
I smiled.
“If,” he continued, “you don’t mind sitting in the back.”
I shook my head. “I’m fine. I don’t mind.”
He smiled and clapped me on the back. “Good.”
We loaded the bike into his truck bed and quickly left.
When we reached the main road, I noticed we weren’t going in the direction of my house, or Jill’s.
“Where’re we going?” I asked, watching the buildings pass as we zipped through town.
“Have ta’ pick up my sister.” Terran replied. He went on to explain. His sister’s name was Hayln and she was working as an intern this semester.
A few minutes later, we arrived in front of a small building, maybe two stories tall. Sitting out front was a girl dressed in scrubs. My guess was that this was his sister, the intern.
We pulled to a stop in front of the girl. She hurriedly opened the door handle and climbed inside. We were pulling away when she finally looked over at me. I froze.
It was the new girl from half of my classes. The one who made me feel like a piece of metal being drawn toward a magnet. Like flies to honey.
At first she was just as shocked as I was. Then a wave of calm washed over her face as she relaxed.
“Hello…” She said shyly. I realized my mouth was hanging open and snapped it shut promptly.
“Uh…Hi?”
Terran spoke up from the front. “Hayln, this is Jillian’s friend, Sora. Sora, this is my younger sister Hayln.”
I looked at her face closer, finally getting my chance to take in the basics about her. She had deep hazel eyes, like Terran. Her pinewood colored hair hung down to her shoulders and was pulled back in a pony tail. Her nose was just as sharp, and slightly narrower, giving her a more feminine look.
She tipped her head in acknowledgement. “Nice to meet you Sora.”
I had to really think to find the right words.
“…Yes, likewise.”
Inside, I was thrilled. And shaken out my wits. It was a strange sensation. I did manage to catch a glimpse of Jill in the rearview mirror. She was laughing. Her elbow resting in the window was just a cover so she could stop herself from bursting out. Her shoulders were shaking slightly.
Terran had a slight grin on his face also. I then got the feeling this was a set up.
My breath was let out in a sigh. May as well play along. Heck, why not just be blunt about it.
“Hayln, will you go out with me?” I said calmly as possible, my eyes fixed on the side of her face. She turned to me wide eyed. Jill actually gasped and Terran jerked the wheel.
“Pot hole!” he shouted to cover his surprise at my sudden outburst. Hayln seemed to buy it and bit her lip.
“Sure…why not?”
I grinned secretly at Jill. She saw it in the mirror and scowled. Score. I ruined her fun with making me squirm by just coming out with it. She was gonna give me crap for it later.
“Alright, fine. Hayln, just to let you know, Sora gets rather attached. If you’re gonna let him go, do it gently.”
Hayln flushed. “That’s alright, I tend to get a bit attached as well.” Her gaze was on me, and I could feel it. I felt my face get all hot. That warm sensation spread down into my chest and heated up.
I saw Terran roll his eyes from the front seat.
Play ball, I thought, laughing on the inside.
Hayln and I arranged for a movie. Since I felt compelled to pay Jill back for hooking me up with Hayln, I suggested to Hayln that we invite Jill and Terran.
We met on Saturday, around four o’clock. I dressed in comfortably snug Levis and a plain tee shirt. Hayln once again stunned me with her amazing fashion sense. She wore a yellow shirt that clung to her sides and draped across her waist. Her honey blond hair framed her face with delicate curls. Dark blue Levis hugged her legs closely, emphasizing on her feminine curves.
I let out a low whistle and she blushed lightly again. Jill and Terran linked arms casually and walked inside almost as soon as we arrived. But my focus wouldn’t drift from the beautiful girl in front of me, as if all else was forgotten. My hand grasped her shoulder and I lead her inside the theater.
We were standing in line for the concessions when I felt someone’s eyes on my back. I casually turned to face Hayln and focused on my peripherals. A familiar burly figure.
Lucas.
A slightly smaller figure was clinging to his side, eagerly looking around. Most likely his date. But I could feel his hard gaze raking me up and down. I twisted back to the counter as our turn approached.
Maybe he’d just leave me alone if he saw I was with a girl.
Or not.
We were walking away from the counter, past the line, when a foot shot out and caught my ankle as I passed. I pushed my bag of popcorn into Hayln’s arms as I fell. She had a look of surprise as I caught myself with my other hand.
I quickly got back to my feet, shaking my wrist from the impact.
“What-.” Hayln started. I grabbed my bag from her.
“It’s nothing,” I replied quickly. “Just tripped.”
I shot a look over my shoulder at Lucas as I led Hayln down the hall to the theater. He was glaring at me. Maybe he just wanted to get his message through that he was above me or something. I stared back to acknowledge it.
I didn’t see him again until we were back in school.
Something hollow and very light hit the back of my head softly. I felt it bounce down my back and a small tap sounded as it landed on the desk behind me.
I turned and smiled apologetically to the student occupying the desk, snatching the crumpled ball of paper from his grasp. He was about to protest when he heard a loud cough on the other side of the room, from where the paper came from. His head turned and his face paled. My gaze drifted back to the corner.
Lucas was sitting with two of his gang, which I knew as his pack mates. They were all staring at me with such an intensity I had to suppress a whimper.
I then came to my senses and opened up the paper. It was written in sloppy chicken scratch hand writing, but I understood the meaning. My fox snarled his anger and I had to focus hard on not letting him loose. I went from slightly intimidated to enraged in a matter of seconds.

Saw you with the new girl Saturday. BACK OFF. She’s mine.

The idea of him trying to claim Hayln as his infuriated me. My fox wanted to tear at his face and snap at his fingers for even mentioning it. If he even touched her, I’d rip his throat out.
I noticed that everything had gone quiet in the room and I looked around. Everyone was staring at me wide eyed, even the teacher.
That growling in my head wasn’t just in my head. A deep rumble was humming in my throat. I hastily changed it to cough and went back to the notes as if to continue writing, signaling for the teacher to continue with the lecture. He did, thankfully, diverting further attention from me.
I silently got out a new sheet of paper and wrote my reply.

Bite me. I saw her first. Besides, you’re not her type.

I wanted to say more, but in case the note was caught by unwanted viewers, I left it at that. Crumpling the page up into a tight ball, I pitched it into the back corner while the teacher wasn’t looking.
A few seconds later, I heard paper being torn. I glanced back to see Lucas fuming with anger.
Normally, I would’ve laughed at making Lucas angry. But at that moment, I was being serious.
Deadly serious.

there ya go.
I loved it. It was very easy to relate with and empathize with the main character. ^ ^ I'd like to read more!
[Image: self_centered_coyote_by_kerol-d2zmoca.png]
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Veemon's Followers