Join our server on Discord

DaD - Now what?
It's not a bad idea. But the idea of making the DaD a paysite makes me wonder if it will drive some people away. People might get discouraged at the idea of the site they knew to be free asking for 20 dollars a year to see what they saw before at no cost.

Here's a different idea, with the same tactics.

Why don't we add something special for the site? "Insiders" can pay to access this special thing, whatever it'll be, and "Outsiders" get just what they've always gotten from this site, with nothing extra except for previews to the insider feature. That should bring in the money we need, and maybe attract more viewers without losing any to discouragement. However, whatever we come up with will have to be worth the community's money.
well that's my exact point, but maybe take a few things away on the boards (and give the artists/authors the option to make fics/pics insider-only) or better quality fics/pics insider only (another plus of IGN is people can get adopted who can't/don't want to buy it)
The reason I'm so against taking anything away is because it's unfair to the viewers of this community to restrict them from and ask money for what they've always had for free. If push comes to shove, we could use that as a last resort for this whole idea in general. But for now, I think it would be better to only add something that only paying individuals can access, and let everyone else have the DaD that they've always had.

Of course, it's not up to me alone. Any other opinions?

~Howl back!
If we really want to talk along the lines of changing things to P2C (pay-to-see), then I'll follow along the lines of "insider/member sections" and "previews", and suggest that half of whatever is updated first goes for the people who donated. After a period of time, say two to six months, the portion of members updates is converted to FFA (free-for-all viewing). This would require additional people to manage such a system, however.

Also, might I recommend other payment options than PayPal? I would gladly send a money order from the local post office, but I'm not keen on using credit cards or direct bank account withdraws for donation.
I like that idea, Blackout! It would also be a great addition to Viewtiful_John's idea (in my opinion, if we don't take things away). If we don't take things away, then we won't have to sit on our butts for hours brainstorming something that would actually be worth 20 bucks a year. We could come up with something moderate for the people who don't think it's a waste of money, and still get the funding we need.

I only see one problem. We'd have to have a whole new system. Login names for viewers so we know who is who, then adding this and that to the HTML coding so that only x amount and certain members can see-- it really complicates the site, destroying its simplicity.

Any other opinions?
Quote:Also, might I recommend other payment options than PayPal? I would gladly send a money order from the local post office, but I'm not keen on using credit cards or direct bank account withdraws for donation.
Dude, PayPal is a lot more secure than money orders. Everything is fully encrypted, nobody's hacked into that system yet, and it's doubtful that anyone will. Read all about it on PayPal's website. It's like commercial flying. Everybody's afraid, but it's actually a lot safer than traveling by car.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
I said I was just not keen on certain types of payment. I did not say that I have a phobia over credit card usage or bank account information submission over the Internet.
Let's focus. We've come up with many ideas, but not a thing has actually been DONE yet. Actions speak louder than words! In the meantime, let's decide on something that we can write in stone about the funding to keep this place going, shall we?
Just a really passive suggestion on the side: lock or delete the current Donate area in the message board if it's not going to be used.
We've been sitting around for a while coming up with stuff. Some people have not responded to ideas and solutions, and we've been bouncing back and forth. As Chibi Renamon said, we're only still here thanks to the grace of the hosting company, and we're wasting time thinking idle thoughts, so here's what I propose.

That idea of John's was a good one, so personally, I think we should stick with that concept, only without taking things away, and while we're sitting here think of something great to add to the site that people must pay for to use. Maybe we could add a five dollar fee to join or something to take care of our current debts. It would also be good to come up with something on the side--for example, Blackout's idea, but we should make it less complicated.

I had an idea for the side option. If we really need to restrict something, we could restrict requests. Viewers could pay to have willing authors and artists make a picture or story for them.

With the current pledges, that should take care of the money issue.

Hey, we're wasting time here, so we need to come up with something solid. Now, who is in favor of the above, at least for now? Or who has any other ideas? The clock's ticking!