Join our server on Discord

"If someone you don't know gives you flowers....
...it's sure to be Impulse".
This was the motto of a famous perfume/deodorant for a couple decades. Every Impulse ad showed the same image in a different stage: a guy that sees a girl passing by, and desperately seeks for the nearest bunch of flowers and gives it to the girl. I remember one where the girl was a vixenish one in a party and the guy took flowers from a flower pot, and another where a girl was passing in the street and the guy ripped the flowers off a garden. The Impulse campaign lasted for several years and ended up around 1990 (though the perfumes were still selling).
So many years later, Impulse has released a new campaign, but now it has a more according to the times, cynical attitude.

Ad 1: A girl is at an airport with a distracted, rather sad expression. A guy is running around desperately, and goes to the speaking center. So out loud, in the speakers, he says "Laura!!!". The girl listens up and goes to the speaking center, while he says "Laura, I have thought about it, and I do have an answer! My answer is..." She arrives at his side, but he can't see her. "...that I need a bit more time...that I have to think about it...." The girl goes away unseen by him.

Ad 2: A girl is working as a waitress at a bar at the side of the road. A guy arrives at the bar and she watches him come by. She goes meet him at the door. He smiles "I came to tell you....Ours wasn't a one night thing" She beams. "It's worth one or two more" He hugs her. She doesn't hug him back.

Ad 3: I didn't see this one, my mother told me. A guy gives a girl a small box. She opens it and finds a key inside. She looks puzzled at him. "That is for when you come home, so I don't have to go down to open the door for you".

In the first two, all the people in the background are totally indiffent. All three end up with the message "These are bad times for romanticism. We came back to change them. Impulse".

A sign of the times? I think it's pretty accurate. For some reason, though now we women resemble more an intrepide and beautiful Feena than a lazy and vain Miss Sherry (though I can point out some Miss Sherry around), we have become more capable, independent and attractive, guys behave like this. I was telling someone the other day that if the typical videogame scene of guy rescuing girl was to happen in real life, the girl would probably have to rescue herself, or end up rescuing the guy. Though this person's argument was that some women wouldn't need to be rescued, that's just an excuse, because even Yusuke had to be rescued once.
So now is your turn for defense, guys. Why have you turned so different from your more romantic ancestors? What on earth happened to you?

Messages In This Thread
"If someone you don't know gives you flowers.... - by Doctor Zephyr - 03-11-2007, 07:37 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM
[No subject] - by UnknownH - 03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
[No subject] - by Harie Krauzer - 03-13-2007, 06:59 AM