Join our server on Discord

How do you keep going?
cboy Wrote:How do you keep going when nothing seems to go for you? When I graduated high school in 2005, I was on top of the world. I had a girlfriend who loved me, a future in the marines to be proud of. Then the marines turn me down, my girlfriend dumps me, I find out that I'm permanently disqualified from joining the service, and my first three jobs don't work out and now my fourth one isn't working out. I know I still have things to be thankful for and I'm trying to stay optimistic about my future, but after having everything going right and then suddenly go wrong, how can I be confident anymore?

I mean, yeah I have a home, a family, food, clothing and all that. But how can I be sure those won't suddenly go away? And if they do, what then?

It's only been a year for you? And you feel this bad about it?

I've had three jobs, excluding newspaper delivery, before my current one delivering pizzas. One of those only lasted THREE DAYS. Only one of the other two worked out well for me, but I fucked it up by ruining my priorities. It took ne three years to get a job after that, and I already told you how long that one lasted. Now I deliver pizzas, getting minimum wage and minimal hours (plus mileage and tips) and need to pay for my cell phone, car, and insurance with that.

On your last questions. . .

You can never be sure that something will not go away. That's where you need to have faith. I'm not even trying to talk about any sort of religious faith -- whether or not that sort of faith is for you is your own call to make -- just basic faith that you will not suddenly find yourself without friends, family, shelter, food and clothing. Faith that you will have warning in some of those circumstances. Faith that although things can get worse, they can also get better.

It's also important to have a safety net of some sort. Living on the street is never an ideal circumstance, and if you have a friend or family member who can house you should things go horribly wrong, that would be a positive move for you to make as a preparatory action.

For the first time since 2002, I'm satisfied with where my life is. It may take you a few years to get here, or it may take decades, but I pray that at some point you will find satisfaction with your life. My satisfaction comes from working, even if the work isn't enough to cover the expenses of me leaving the house, and from writing. I don't know where you will find yours or when, but I hope that you will.

Messages In This Thread
How do you keep going? - by cboy - 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM
[No subject] - by Herr Mullen - 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM
[No subject] - by cboy - 07-24-2006, 10:16 AM
[No subject] - by Herr Mullen - 07-24-2006, 10:45 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
[No subject] - by Shadowknight - 07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
[No subject] - by cboy - 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM
[No subject] - by Doctor Zephyr - 07-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Re: How do you keep going? - by Nate Hunter - 07-30-2006, 05:31 PM
[No subject] - by cboy - 07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
[No subject] - by MISTER BIG T - 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM