Join our server on Discord

Send my soul away
I bought the new Audioslave album on Tuesday, and I've listened to it thoroughly, enough to give it my Amazon type review. Overall, it's more coherent than their first album. They sound more like a band, instead of Chris Cornell singing over Rage Against The Machine. The downside is that it's not nearly as hard as the first album. With a few exceptions, every song is along the lines of "Like A Stone" or "Getaway Car." No song on the album can match the power of "Cochise," "Set It Off," "Exploder," or "Show Me How To Live." Mostly, it's the lyrics that got softer, and more abstract. Chris hasn't written completely metaphorical stuff like this since "UltraMegaOK." Other weird stuff: a lot of steady drum solos from Brad, and a lot of trick guitar work from Tom. Here it is song by song:

"Your Time Has Come" 9.5/10: The second single, and possibly my favorite song on the album, very catchy.

"Out Of Exile" 8/10: Sets the true tone for the album, soft and metaphorical, but redeemed by a riff that sounds a lot like "Defy You."

"Be Yourself" 9/10: The first single. It sounds really good, but the verses don't quite fit the chorus. I could've written better ones.

"Doesn't Remind Me" 7.5/10: The soon to be third single. It has some great lines, but it's way too soft.

"Drown Me Slowly" 7/10: Not bad, but nothing special.

"Heaven's Dead" 7/10: Sounds a lot like "Getaway Car."

"The Worm" 5/10: Worst song on the album; it's stupid.

"Man Or Animal" 9.5/10: The hardest song on the album, and one of my favorites.

"Yesterday To Tomorrow" 8.5/10: Some sort of love and time song, I think.

"Dandelion" 9.5/10: Sounds like something from "Euphoria Morning," Chris's solo album. It's another candidate for my favorite song.

"#1 Zero" 6.5/10: It's pretty lame, but it's alphabetically first on my Dell DJ.

"The Curse" 7/10: I was hoping for a stronger closer.

I was supposed to get a free poster with my purchase, but Circuit City said they didn't have them in yet, but I was free to call, and they would reserve one. In case you were wondering, my favorite song on the last album was "Shadow On The Sun," or possibly the unreleased "Gilded Dreams."
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against

Messages In This Thread
Send my soul away - by Wisemon - 05-26-2005, 02:50 PM
[No subject] - by The Anti-Wisemon - 05-27-2005, 06:30 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 05-27-2005, 03:25 PM
[No subject] - by The Anti-Wisemon - 05-28-2005, 09:33 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 05-28-2005, 11:36 AM
[No subject] - by The Anti-Wisemon - 05-28-2005, 12:35 PM