Join our server on Discord

Biggest surprise/dissapointment.
Okay, round 2.

Surprises:

Dragon Warrior III: This game is quite possibly the greatest of all the 8-bit RPGs (or at least matches up closely to FF1). This was a surprise to me because I found the first Dragon Warrior to largely be a boring grind fest. While there is some leveling that has to be done in this game, I didn't find it nearly as bad. It also offers more job classes than FF1, is one of the first games to have a night and day mechanic, and offers two worlds to explore with plenty of secrets in between.

EarthBound: I found out about this game like most people from Ness's inclusion in the Super Smash Bros. games. It's truly an awesome experience and RPG that does something few video games do, parody. With its wacky humor, memorable enemies, and spectacular end boss, I highly recommend it to everyone.

Disappointments:

Final Fantasy III DS: When this came out, I had played all of the other FF games. I loved many of them like 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9 and didn't quite like the others so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I expected more than I what I got though. The 3-D graphics and music are fine enough, but I found the job system irritating. I can safely say that they handled it a lot better in FF5. Besides the fact that equipment for each job is sold unevenly across stores, if you want to switch jobs, you have to undergo a certain amount of battles with reduced stats. And then there's the story which is just boring and unmemorable just like the characters. I realize it's a remake of an NES game, but come on. FF1 gave us Garland and the four Fiends. FF3 continued the tradition of naming a character after Cid from FF2, but that's about it. All in all, pass on this one.

Twisted Metal 3: I was young and foolish back in the day. After playing the awesomeness that was Twisted Metal 2, I assumed it's sequel would be awesome. This game fails in just about every regard compared to its older brother. The graphics look better, but that's about the only upside. The music is unmemorable, the enemies are really cheap when it comes to grabbing health, and the level design is terrible (especially Washington D.C. which is basically a big rectangle). Oh, and then there's the physics. I think they were trying to make them more realistic for the cars, but it just ends up making the controls feel awkward compared to TW2. Avoid this game at all costs, it is an embarrassment to an otherwise wonderful franchise.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Bee - 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Wisemon - 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Kurtz - 10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Crimson Fox - 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Gol22 - 11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Ryan - 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Lokki - 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Kurtz - 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM