Join our server on Discord

Slide Evolution: Hindsight is 20/20
I don't agree witht hat entirely, Reclaimer -- In fact, I support this theory based on the simple nature of "DNA" evolutions. In a Jogress, or DNA, evolution, the Two Digimon do not become a new one. One Digimon provides power to the other, so that the primary Digimon can evolve to the next level, or possibly an intermediate level (Xeed Milleniumon+ Monodramon = Cyberdramon).

In Zero Two, they simply wanted to provide three clear-cut Ultimate/Perfect forms for the initially introduced new heores -- V-mon, Armadimon, and Hawkmon. They did this by making another of the primary heroes become a power source -- Stingmon, Angemon, and Tailmon. THe creators did NOT want to use this to simply eliminate the previous Digimons importance, or make them disappear, so the Digimon which resulted were designed to reflect both of the Digimon involved.

Paildramon, for example, still has obvious reflections of Stingmon, a result of his being a power source for the evolution. However, were XV-mon used as power to evolve Stingmon, we would end up with Dino Beemon, which resembles Stingmon more than Paildramon does. Thus I believe that a sort of "slide" evolution is present there.

Silphymon, for another example, has Tailmon's ears and a white, fuzzy torso, while otherwise reflecting the tendency (whether intentional or not, it is largely true) of Perfect Digimon to be more humanoid than their Adult form. Had Hawkmon acted as a power source, in place of the Crest of Hikari, Tailmon would still have become Angewomon, because of the nature of Jogress (JOin and proGRESS) evolution.

Technically, even Tailmon <-> Nefertimon is a Slide Evolution, because both Digimon are Level IV (Champion, Armor, H&B Hybrids) Digimon. I believe I was the first to use the term "slide evolution" to describe the phenomenon, in fact, and though I cannot readily prove such, it was well before Frontier.

There's nothing wrong with applying a term from a later season into a previous one -- it's possible situations change (perhaps in a post-Zero Two story Digimon appear in the same Digital Fields as in Tamers) or that a new method is necessary (perhaps someone freezes the power of Gabumon and Agumon to Warp Evolve, but Taichi and Yamato find a way to Biomerge with them to reach Mega level), or even just a better term was applied to a phenomenon already existant (the capability of Monzaemon to Slide Evolve into Waru Monzaemon or Pandamon and Tailmon, during Zero Two, to become another Level IV -- Nefertimon).

The reason I believe Jogressed Digimon could Slide from one side to another is because of their nature: They are Two Digimon, and based on who is the dominant one in the evolution, the form can change. I also believe Slide Evolution would have been practical during Zero Two for Daisuke, Miyako, and Iori, in order to maintain the power level of their Digimon while changing their Digimental Armor.

The biggest thing I'd like to see is certain Digimon to receive some power-ups in stories, like maybe a post-Zero Two that utilizes an ability for the Digimental Armors to be combined into one reflecting their holder's "true" trait, but which is still not a "Golden" Digimental. Or even just the ability to use "Dual-Armor Evolution" instead of sacrificing the old ones... or Cross Armor Evolutions, for the forms not in Zero Two, like Yashamon.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by The Reclaimer - 05-16-2004, 02:57 AM
[No subject] - by Nate Hunter - 05-16-2004, 11:09 AM
[No subject] - by Cyber Stryker - 05-16-2004, 03:31 PM
[No subject] - by The Reclaimer - 05-17-2004, 02:59 AM
[No subject] - by Nate Hunter - 05-17-2004, 04:05 AM
[No subject] - by The Reclaimer - 05-17-2004, 04:47 AM
[No subject] - by Red Mage Dragon Tiamat - 05-17-2004, 08:35 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
[No subject] - by Stormy&nbsp;&nbsp;Wizard - 05-17-2004, 05:23 PM
[No subject] - by Nate Hunter - 05-18-2004, 05:24 AM
[No subject] - by Cyber Stryker - 05-18-2004, 03:58 PM