Join our server on Discord

The Mary-Sue litmus test
http://www.onlyfiction.net/marysue2.html

I would put this in the author's thread or the OCA or somewhere more befitting, but for the life of me, I can't determine where this should go.

Anyways, this is the Mary-Sue litmus test, or rather, one of the most thorough ones I've been able to find. This will help you determine if your character is well developed, or an absolute mess of god-modding. I've got bets on how many people here score over 70 points on the Mary Sue test.

The highest score any of my characters got was 37. The others ranged from 5 to mid-20s.
[Image: WalkingEye-1.jpg]

No super-villain can resist the temptation of a Walking Eye.
The OCA
A nice little quiz to bounce characters off of.
135 for Mar! :3 Ah, perfection in all of its galore. *Flexes arms in front of a mirror, occassionally kissing his own biceps without taking his eyes off his own reflection*
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Way too long for my attention span. Checked maybe 4 boxes and was bored already. Besides, I don't need some 'test' telling me how 'original' I am.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Their test sucks. They grade you based on if you got wings or not, or if your character likes poetry or not. Sort of useless since Mar's background is spent trying not to get eaten :0
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Ah, what the hell, let's give it a try with my two most frequently used characters.

51 for Crimson.

Crimson: Ridiculous! We'll see how smug these test givers are when I have a death ray stuck halfway up their nose! Zappo!

42 for Ada.

Ada: Really? Although, to be honest, I'm surprised I scored lower. They seemed very biased against us magical individuals. *huffs*
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
...Cowboy scored a 104.

Honestly, how is that?! I mean, they have you check boxes for if you were a Merc, can Sharpshoot, and can kill someone with your bare hands! But that's his job!

...meh. I'm going back to bed. I don't need some test to undermine my character.
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Whee, so far I'm winning in the scale of awesome.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
i scored a 50. Not bad, but i think it's bullshit to call someone who can grow helicopters from his spinal column boring...and also quite brave.

To be honest, i did detect a little bit of sarcasm in that test and some of the questions seemed a little mocking for instance Does your character "just know things"?
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Ok, maybe I need to clarify things a bit.

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as wish-fulfillment fantasies for their authors or readers. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly.

And when it says the character "just knows things", it's usually a cop-out for the writer not coming up with anything impressive or clever *or anything else at all, really* to forward the plot.
[Image: WalkingEye-1.jpg]

No super-villain can resist the temptation of a Walking Eye.
The OCA